Experience with Lencarta studio flashes

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Mats_A, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Mats_A

Mats_A Member

Jan 31, 2010
    Multi Format
    So far all my indoor portraits have been shot with off-camera flashes (Strobist style). It works OK for headshots (sometimes) but full body shots or more than 2 people is a pain. So I'm looking for an affordable studio flash set. I have been looking at a set from Lencarta in the UK.
    Does anyone here have any experience with these strobes?

2. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Aug 10, 2006
    Multi Format
    Sorry, my portable battery powered studio rig is a bit of a dogs breakfast to look at, but works fine.

In my experience affordable and studio flash are not two words that go together

I use a Braun EF300 or Norman 200B for the main light, usually into a softbox. Up to a 3x4 box works ok with 160iso film.

Fill light is usually with a Metz 60CT-1 with a mecamat to allow its output to be dialled down and bounced off an umbrella, or the back wall, if it is the right color.

Hair or backgound is usually a Sunpak 522 which also can be manually dialled back.

No modelling light, but exerience and a flash meter gives me good success. Most of these mongrels I have brought back from the dead cleaned up and fed AGM UPS power cells to get lots of flashes at a reasonable price.

Once you try to lift my studio flash rig, you will understand why I also have a 'lite' battery powered rig.

My studio has a well used Speedotron 2400w/s blackline and its 4 heads in a road case that I consider came at a fair price at $1800 , but in my book that is a long way from 'affordable'.