Experiences with Tetenal's Anti Newton Ring Spray?

Discussion in 'Enlarging' started by Akki14, Oct 23, 2007.

1. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm just wondering how it works and why people need a big can of it? It is one time use only? Do you spray the negative carrier or the negative? Is it worth the money? I can't find anti-newton glass inserts for my LPL enlarger at First Call Photographic - just the anti-newton ring spray, and I think it'd be hard to get glass cut to fit (the edges are beveled).

2. Neal

Neal Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Dear Akki14,

There was a post in APUG some time this year (at least I think so) mentioning an inexpensive source for AN glass. This place seems to have reasonable prices: https://linux19.domainnameservers.net/~fpoint5/store/agora.cgi

As for your actual questions, I've only used Tetenal AN spray for making unsharp masks so I can't comment on use in a negative carrier.

Neal Wydra

3. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's nice but it appears to be in dollars and I'm not so keen on shipping glass internationally.. and I don't think they have the AN glass I need.

4. Brian Jeffery

Brian Jeffery Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heather,

you might want to give Nova Darkroom a try as they are listing Anti Newton glass for around £21.

Brian

5. richard ide

richard ide Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heather,
    A very cheap substitute worth trying is baby powder. Dust a tiny bit on the glass, then blow off. There will be enough left to do the job.

6. rmolson

rmolson Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Anti Newton Ring spray

Anti Newton Ring spray
    I used to use Off set spray powder from the press room which is basically corn starch. We would put it in an atomizer and then spray it into the air and wave the transparency through it. Usually that was enough and it beat oil mounting 4x5 transparencies on the scanner drum

7. Akki14

Akki14 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Interesting, I would have never thought adding more dust would be a good thing :D I'm already fighting enough dust bits on this negative carrier but I'll give it a shot. I've really polished it well and it still seems like only one bit on an edge gets the worse of it even though I've started not handling the negative I want to print at all (hold the strip from the other end sort of thing).

8. Neil Miller

Neil Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Heather - I read somewhere about people using hairspray to do the same job. A cloud was sprayed into the air, and the glass passed through it. Never tried it, so don't know if it works!

Regards,
    Neil.