Experimental Emulsion/Matrix Film?

Discussion in 'Silver Gelatin Based Emulsion Making & Coating' started by wildbillbugman, Jul 25, 2011.

1. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hi,
    I have noticed that my emulsions with silaneated PVA show positive relief, even after weeks of drying on glass. I am wondering if it would be worth my time to try it out as a matrix "film" for Dye Transfer.
    Bill

2. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bill,

Not sure how I missed this. Give it a shot! Curious to know a bit more about this actually...

For a rough a dirty test you could use some textile dyes; acid dyes or the Procion reactive dyes.

3. wildbillbugman

wildbillbugman Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    holmburgers,
    Me will give this a shot! Me have some dry dyes that me purchased many moons ago for this very purpose. Currently, me am not as interested in Dye Transfer as me is in Carbon Transfer. But me be interested in all processes, especialy old processes to which me can give a little twist.
    Sorry: Me dreamed of Haiti last night.(Pre-Earthquake Haiti)

4. holmburgers

holmburgers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Methinks you crazy Bill! :laugh: :laugh:

Word on the street is that Kodak's matrix film had some unique polymers in it; not just pure gelatin. (or perhaps it was collagen I'm thinking of?)

Are the raised relief portions areas of high silver content; high-lights on the negative?

I'm thinking that since there was no etch, you might be dealing with more of a Pinatype/planographic-matrix situation, where you have a differential of tanned & untanned gelatin, as opposed to a true relief matrix where you only have tanned gelatin and the untanned has been etched away. If that's the case then you might find that your dyes don't allow for clean highlights.

But, this is all hypothesizing!