Experimental Therapy

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by snegron, Jul 26, 2012.

1. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just posted a similar thread on Nikonians but thought I would share with everyone here as well.

For years I have been collecting Nikon film cameras. I grew attached to most of them but ironically rarely used them for fear of getting scratches, dents or dings on them. I bubble-wrapped them all and placed them into storage after finally being fed up with the poor lab service in my area; local labs were ruining my rolls. A friend of mine recently gave me his old Nikon EM which he kept tucked away for many years. All the care he took unfortunately worked against the camera because the lack of use is causing me to have to bring it back to useable life. This got me thinking about my camera collecting practices, but I couldn't bring myself to using or abusing them.

So, I decided to try a new form of therapy. I purchased a camera I like least of all with the intended purpose of using it on a daily basis without fear; a Nikon F2A in bargain condition. I purchased a very nice looking one years ago but never cared too much for the feel or balance compared to my older F or newer F3. My reasoning is that I won't grow attached to it because it is not my favorite body type, and even if I did inadvertently fall in love with it, it is a BGN body; no collectors appeal whatsoever!

I also purchased a box of bubble protected mail envelopes to send my future rolls of film to either Dwyanes or Dale Lab for developing. My objective is to do what I used to love; take pictures with my film camera. No fear of scratches, just joy of using my camera and taking pictures. Maybe this new therapy will cure my senseless collecting disorder!

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 26, 2012
  2. Willie Jan

Willie Jan Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Last week I saw a digital print with a scratch on the paper....

Probably if you call them they say it's a sand corn on your sensor :smile:

3. htimsdj

htimsdj Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am crazy about my car, but not my cameras for some reason. When I got my Leica MP, I took the plastic off the bottom immediately. I like pictures first, cameras are down on the list.

4. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ???

Use and abuse are two very different things.

I've been using film cameras (Nikon, Hasselblad, and LF) for over 50 years, and have never put a scratch or ding on any of them.

Admittedly, if a particular camera is used heavily, you can get some wear on the finish ("brassing") and such.
    I've never used any one camera enough for that to occur, but I've certainly seen numerous examples thereof.

- Leigh

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 27, 2012
  5. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been using my Linhof ST IV regularly since 1987, I take it in the woods, use it handheld, indoors, etc. The last time I saw the original owner he looked it over and said it looked the same as the day I bought it.

6. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Attached is a perfect example of what I am referring to regarding "use and abuse". One of these was my user camera, the other was for collecting. See if you can spot the subtle differences. :smile:

http://www.pbase.com/snegronspics/image/111851962

7. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I did not say you couldn't abuse a camera. Obviously you can.

I said that use does not imply abuse. It just takes a bit of care and paying attention to what you're doing.

- Leigh

8. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Cameras were made to be used. It's only abuse if it means the camera no longer works.

9. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is the point in a camera you don't dare use?

10. E. von Hoegh

E. von Hoegh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    None.

11. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Museums are full of objects that don't get used. They're called collections.

Collections trace their history in human culture back over 2,000 years. They're nothing new.

- Leigh

12. bsdunek

bsdunek Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My first Nikon F with FTN head was purchased in 1970. I use it all the time. It has a few dings and dents and some brassing. It may not be a showpiece, but it still is beautiful to me.
    I have a collection of very old cameras - one my Grandmother got in 1907, and one my Dad had in college, circa 1931-33. They are for collecting, although I have run film through most of them just for fun.
    I say, collect what you want to collect, but have some users so you can do your photography without worrying. I don't abuse anything, but things do happen.

13. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ok, I get the hint now. Let's end this thread once and for all. My apologies if I offended anyone by merely stating that I collect cameras and decided to buy a "beater" camera to get me to start using my cameras again. I had forgotten how stuffy it can get in here. Now I remember why I stayed away from this forum for so long.

p.s. I'm sure that those of you who seemed to be appalled by my habit of collecting and preserving Nikon film bodies would be the first in line to purchase any of them if I were to sell them over some other bodies in not such good condition. How do you explain the existence of camera equipment out there in pristine condition if it were not for collectors like me? Do as you preach and next time you find an old camera for sale in excellent condition don't buy it. It might have belonged to some inconsiderate collector like myself.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I prefer the one at the back.

16. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If your "user" camera is in that condition... Is it the camera's fault?

None of my users look like that.

- Leigh

17. snegron

snegron Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Please read my previous response. I believe I was very clear about how I no longer wished to offend anyone here with my collecting habits. You win. I'm leaving. There are other forums on the net with people who are not as easily offended and over critical.

p.s. If any moderator is reading this, please feel free to lock this thread. I think some have taken it the wrong way and it seems to no longer be a productive exchange. Thanks. Again, my apologies if I offended anyone.

18. Chan Tran

Chan Tran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If I use the cameras moderately and with care there won't be any difference between that and not using them at all.

19. eddie

eddie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't see why you feel anyone was offended by your collecting. I didn't see any responses which would lead me to that conclusion.
    I do hope you "exercise" your collection once in a while. Running them through the various shutter speeds, cocking the shutter, using the winder, etc., will help keep their insides as pristine as you keep the outsides.

For me, I have a habit of anthropomorphizing my cameras. I have a few from the 50's, which hadn't been used in close to 50 years. When I loaded them with film, and pressed the shutter, I could have sworn they said, "Thank you"... I consider it somewhat of an honor to return an item to it's original purpose.

20. emasterphoto

emasterphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    No one's offended here, puzzled is more like it. Simple fact is a lot of us collect as well, but we obviously don't relate to your attitude towards your collection. I know I don't. And what kind of discussion you were expecting I'm honestly not sure of.

Me, I buy my cameras to use. I am also extremely picky as to their condition when I buy them - I want them as close to new as I can get, and I get very close most of the time. I also take very good care of them; what many people would say is borderline OCD perhaps. Even so, I would never dream of not using them, because that's why I bought them in the first place. And to spend money on a camera I dislike just so I can go out and shoot? Huh? Not happening. This is my current shooter:

7052565687_22677b8666_o.jpg

I'm still scanning the fifteen rolls I recently put through it, and I'll likely put a few more through it tomorrow. And even with regular use it'll still look like it does now. If you really want therapy, take out one of your pristine cameras that you really love and use it. That's the point of having them.

21. fstop

fstop Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I admire your devotion to maintaining good condition examples of film equipment.I too have mint condition examples I bought just so a pristine example will exist. I have other bodies of the same make and model in lesser condition that I use.

There is nothing wrong with preserving mint/excellent condition examples, if fact I feel its imperative.

22. BradleyK

BradleyK Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    + 1 (and then some)! I collect books (first editions - and yes I do READ them), art (paintings and photographic prints) and vinyl records (which I do listen to when my limited leisure time permits); my cameras, however, are my tools. I have never been able to fathom collecting cameras irrespective of their rarity. To me collecting cameras is something akin to a painter collecting brushes or tubes of paint or blank canvases...

Cameras? I prefer looking through them, not at them!

23. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use my cameras almost every day I bought all of them in mint used condition I have had them all for more than twenty years, and have used them almost every day, I have had all of them CLAd once in recent years, and they are all still in the same condition as I got them in, cameras are machines that are made to be used, if they are not abused and used carefully there's no reason to wrap them in bubble wrap and treat them as devotional objects, they are a means to an end, not an end in themselves.

24. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My comments have nothing to do with your collecting habits. In fact I laud them.

My criticism was directed toward your apparent disregard for handling of your user cameras.
    When I spend money for something I try to take good care of it.

- Leigh

25. zsas

zsas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    ^ I thought the OP said he bought a camera in bargin condition, why judge him/her for the prior owners transgressions? I think the OP has already described how he/she has reverence for cameras, why give the OP a hard time? He/she is trying to find joy in photography and collecting (two seperate hobbies - for some), not sure what sense it makes to judge

26. lxdude

lxdude Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Uuummm...oh I see! The one in back is not an HP!