Expiration 2003, Poorly Stored Fuji Velvia 50 Still Looks Great

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Andre Noble, Oct 6, 2012.

1. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hello, today I picked up from Icon lab in L.A. a roll of Fuji Velvia 50 transparency film I exposed last week. I had found the unexposed roll sitting in a camera case that sat in hot closets all those years. I originally puchased it in an expired/short dated film rack at Calumet.

This is Southern California, so the film was exposed to heat year round for 9 years past its expiration date to very hot temperatures in my apt without AC (that will be my next big home purchase) , in three or four different, hot closets, albeit in original box and foil.

There is a ~5cc Salmon colored warm cast to it - but the DMax looks great.

this iPod snap shot of the long expired Fuji Velvia 50 doesn't do it justice.
    Old Velvia.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2012
  2. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    In Istanbul , my cheap fresh Kodak Color Negative films goes bad after 6 months , very bad. I dont know this is common or not or I dont know may be the quality of films are very poor. My photo lab have lots of rolls of Portra 400 and they went to useless category. I read in this forum , Kodak sends color paper to Australia , cut from the center from the big mega roll , paper went to much pressure and never flattents. I am sure Kodak playing similar games over here.
    I am happy , your velvia slides are very good. I am seeing same saturated colors from the media everywhere past 20 years but my green foliage experience was wet and cold , just natural and there was very elegant light plays. I never experienced the same success with other film , camera was Kiev 88 and 80 mm lens , what an excellent camera. AH !

3. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    This one is Kodak Ektar 125 that expired in 4/1992 then shot and processed in 9/2010. Based on this testing, it can be safely rated at ISO32-64.

[​IMG]

Here is another frame from the roll taken at ISO32.

[​IMG]

I picked up a box of 100 rolls (24exp) for $20. This was not cold stored for all those years.

4. Les Sarile

Les Sarile Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Here is another expired film - Fuji Superia 1600. It expired in 2002 and I shot and processed it in 11/2010. It was refrigerated all the time it was unused.

[​IMG]

5. Alan W

Alan W Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    tech pan expired 1982.jpg Tech pan 35mm developed in d76 stock for 6 minutes. Got a fewrolls of film recently and all were expired in 1982.As far as I know they were kept in a bag in a basement in Florida.The Tech pan I've found looks the way I like it when rated at asa 12.The plus x looks fine when rated at 25,I've got some hanging right now.Neither have any visible fog.There were also 4 rolls of kodachrome that I haven't done anything with-yet.

6. brucemuir

brucemuir Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Andre, that's what my experience with expired velvia has looked like.
    Varying degrees of shift toward magenta depending.
    I usually avoid it but you example looks pretty decent for the conditions you stated.

knock some frames off :devil:

7. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Question Alan, is the Plus -X also from the early 1980"s. You wrote you rated it at ASA 25, is this a typo? How does it look now that its dry?

8. dnjl

dnjl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I shot expired Velvia 50 once and the magenta cast totally ruined the colours. I scanned the slides and converted then to b&w.

Velvia 100f, on the other hand, seems to have a blueish cast when expired. I have a few bricks of that stuff in my fridge and I love it.

[​IMG]
    Velvia 100f (exp. 2006)

9. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Still have some Astia, Provia 400X and Velvia 100 in the fridge that are expired since April. These posts gave me some relief!

10. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Dude, if they have been cold stored and are "expired" since April 2012, then they are good as factory fresh.

11. Andre Noble

Andre Noble Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In such cases, instaed of throwing batch out, I would use it with a 05CC or 10CC green filter over taking lens. Time will come in a few years when we will all be using these CC filters for our long expired color films!

12. damonff

damonff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've shot properly stored Velvia from 1998 that is fine.

13. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Velvia 50 exposed to high temperatures will lose depth in the primaries, especially red and green. The real test is exposing it in light for which it was not designed for and examining the reaction of the emulsion to the extreme of contrast. On the other hand, if it is exposed in diffuse or soft light (its design intent), one may well arrive at the conclusion that it has come through the storage unscathed. Its tolerance for high temperature is especially poor and degradation does occur.