Expired film

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by alex millman, Nov 4, 2013.

1. alex millman

alex millman Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have 10 rolls of fuji provia 100f film. It expired 2 months ago. How long will it last before problems occour? It has been stored in a fridge at the apprporiate temperature.
    Hope you can help!

2. x100art

x100art Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    2 months?

I really wouldn't worry about it especially if it's in the refrigerator.

3. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Two or three years at the very least if it's been in the fridge all its life. Maybe quite a lot longer as its a slow film.

Manufacturers are very conservative in giving expiry dates.....it's just a date when there should be no visible deterioration for all practical purposes, not a date when it becomes unusuable. I'm using Astia dated 2005 from the freezer, and 2-3 y.o. color neg from the fridge with no concerns at all.

4. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Don't trust your best ever photographs to it, but otherwise use it without concern. As said above, expiration dates are conservative, and refrigeration slows everything down a lot!

5. DanielStone

DanielStone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been using film that's "expired" by 10+ yrs or so, with no apparent age effects

IF IT WAS STORED PROPERLY(key point here)

I wouldn't hesitate to use this film down the road. Fridge is fine for short-term(upwards of 6mo), but frankly, just freeze it if you aren't going to use it quickly.

-Dan

6. David Lyga

David Lyga Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The real answer might be to give it a clip test. Of course, if you do not do your own processing this might be difficult. Chances are, the expiry date is conservative and, if stored properly, there should be no worries. I would normally say to give it an extra step of exposure but since this is NOT negative film, doing that might be counterproductive (UNLESS you are processing it as a negative). I use only negative film. - David Lyga

7. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's unusable. I'll dispose of it properly for you, pm me for my address.