Explotation - Microsoft Student Photographer contest

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by rjas, May 8, 2007.

1. rjas

rjas Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I know thousands and thousands of unsuspecting students will basically give their images to Microsoft and recieve nothing in compensation. A pretty good deal for Microsoft, only costs them $20,000 (the grand prize)

“All Entries become the property of Sponsor and Administrators and will not be returned.

By submitting your Entry, you grant Sponsor and Administrators an irrevocable royalty-free, worldwide right, in all media (now known or later developed) to use, publish, alter or otherwise exploit your Entry.

You hereby forever release the Sponsor and Administrators from any and all claims you might have in connection with their use and exhibit of your Entry as set forth above. You also agree to sign any necessary documentation to effectuate that license and release.

If you do not want to grant Sponsor and Administrators the foregoing, please do not enter the Contest.”

http://prophoto.microsoft.avitivaco...Submission_guidelines_and_official_rules.html

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That is more common than you would imagine. In this case, I think that Microsoft is trying to raise awareness of digital photography, rather than trying to get images for itself. Of course, they might actually come up with a worthwhile image or twof or their troubles.

3. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It's the CORE of their philosophy, to own and license images. What was done with software will be done with art, photography and images of every kind. It's the future of control of the individual right of ownership. What was yours, dreamed by you, made by you, is now mine; but you can use it one time for a fee. The future is going to be: How do you keep control of your own creations in the present of corporate predatory feeding.

4. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    isnt microsoft the one starting that huge stock photography site?
    This would give microsoft full rights to make profits off of a submission you are likely to make 0$ from.

5. darinwc

darinwc Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When did microsoft start caring about 'raising awareness' about anything?

6. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well said, Curt!! Couldn't agree more. I do agree that it's a common practice elsewhere, though. Even with the more 'reputable' competitions - the 'donors' (corporate body) get to write off the sums given out - which, in fact, is the very same money which is collectively known as the 'entry fee'. So- in fact, it can be seen as a 'reputable' form of lottery - where the organization putting it on doesn't really need to lay out a dime to pull it off.

7. patrickjames

patrickjames Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Its called "crowdsourcing".

Patrick

8. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It makes me angry - it's more likely to be students who are misused by this sort of thing because they are eager to get their photos 'out there'.

No 'competition' worth entering assumes copyright from those who submit entries, apart from the right to use winning images to publicise the event itself.

9. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  10. Bob F.

Bob F. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They appear to be somewhat confused. In the FAQ section they state:
    Which is more in line, but until/unless they change the official rules, I guess their original rights-grab remains in force. So that's another slap in the face for MS's reputation then (as if that ever bothered them)...

Cheers, Bob.

11. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    can someone explain how microsoft could be exploiting anyone when they clearly state that entries will become their property?

12. Sparky

Sparky Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Because the people who submit probably won't be reading the fine print.

13. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Then that's their own fault. Maybe this is a cultural thing, but I consider it my responsibilty to read any agreement before making a comittment, not someone else's.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I don't know anything about the photo submission to Microsoft, but I have seen the same regulation/agreement/contract/policy in photo contests in many places, and I'm not terribly shocked by it. Last year I found the Japanese edition of National Geographic running the same sh-t, and the contest juries were not necessarily the ones specilized in the kind of photos that the magazine provides. So, it seemed just a lot of BS to me.

You don't want your work to be judged and/or presented by complete strangers who are only interested in taking away your rights and stealing your work...

16. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey! Get with the 21st century. There's no such thing as personal responsibility any more. My lawyer says it's always someone else's fault. Sheesh! That kind of philosophy won't get you anywhere today. :wink:

Regards, Art.

17. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Honestly, this is the way I see this if I were a snotty high school kid. I could submit my image with the once in a lifetime possibility of have it seen by bajillions worldwide backed by one of the largest brand name corporations and brag about it to no end, or I could talk about the ethics of it all in a thread like this when I get old and cranky and nothing to show for it.

Easy choice.

Regards, Art.

18. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    good one Art

19. markbb

markbb Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So who's doing the exploiting in this scenario?

20. Dinesh

Dinesh Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you don't like the content of the fine print, don't enter.

21. Moopheus

Moopheus Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    It's exploitation in the sense that M$ is granting themselves a wide usage license for no compensation. By "property" they are referring to the actual entries, a file or physical print, which they aren't going to send back to you. Yes, you have to agree to it, but that doesn't make it less exploitative. M$ is still using its economic power to take other people's assets at little or no cost to itself; that's what exploitation means "unfairly or unjustly using another person or group for profit or advantage," as Merriam-Webster puts it. There's nothing the least bit fair about the arrangement. M$ is hardly alone in this; there's a whole world of scams out there for aspiring artists and writers desperate for publication or recognition. Taking advantage of another person's weakness like that might be legal, might be acceptable under the rules of commerce, but it's still a skanky thing to do. So we will call it what it is.

22. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From the OP quote it would seem that you don't have to be the winner/s to hand over control of your image - you just have to enter.

23. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Does that make a difference?

Regards, Art. (Drats! Keep breaking my own rule not to speak up in these threads ... dang!)

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2007
  24. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It just means the bargain isn't to get world-wide fame.

If the original quote is correct, it's unnecessary, and it's bad practice. Big rich guys ripping off aspiring youngsters - who are the most at risk of being ripped off.

Quite simple really. Not good.

Anyway, who's calling who 'old and cranky'.:tongue: :wink:

25. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    LMAO "Ripping Off" kids. LOL That was too funny.

Regards, Art.

26. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I make my living working with and writing software for Microsoft systems. I find your reference to Microsoft as "M$" offensive.