Exposure? Scanning? Film? issue - Please help me.

Discussion in 'Exposure Discussion' started by uchan, Aug 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uchan

uchan Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear all,

I have been in analogue for so far 3 months, I took all my film develop in pro lab, and I scan it myself using Epson V500.

Things (I thought) were going well not until yesterday I decided to 'scan' it with my Fujifilm S5 Pro, shooting in RAW, then invert it to positive in Photoshop CS3. Something pretty awful happened. I 'scan' it using the white backlight of my laptop, then crop them to show you all.

I did not accept this (photo attached) happen. On the left, the lighting was from indoor itself (consider the right color for me), where on right, it was a cloudy weather. That day, I was using Fujifilm 400H Pro, rated at 200 and shot.

My question is, the one on left was definitely correct color, but why the color on right such blueish? Is it because overexpose, or something else? Why the color has such a huge offset? (The rest of the outdoor shots were like that when I 'scan' with my camera)

Any idea?

Thanks,
    uchan

[​IMG]

2. maarten m

maarten m Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    what temperature was the WB on your S5?
    you should "callibrate" it to the temperature of your laptopscreen.
    Fujifilm 400H Pro is a daylight film, so the picture on the left should be reddish, the one on the right correct.
    i can only imagine you didn't set the right temperature for this "scanning".

btw, why "scan" with your S5 if you have a V500??

3. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm pretty sure the moderators are going to jump in soon and advise to take the discussion to www.hybridphoto.com

- Thomas

4. uchan

uchan Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Maarten, the temperature was 2950 on my S5Pro. Just now, I reopen my RAW, I manually inverted the tone curve, and tweaked the temperature, they were still the same - as in the photo on left become more uglier and the right become even more uglier.

Yes, I notice that, 400H Pro is a daylight film, just wondering what happen when using in those conditions that is not daylight.

I was playing it out of random. What a surprise to see it.

5. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    uchan, you scanned it with the filter to make balance the indoor shot. This is a scanning problem and should by on hybridphoto.com

Steve

6. uchan

uchan Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I will try it with a filter.

Thomas, and Steve, thanks for the advise. I will try to post it on hybridphoto.com.

7. Sean

Sean Admin Staff Member Admin

Shooter:
    Multi Format
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.