Extending the yield of RA4 Developer.

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Mick Fagan, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This evening I pulled out my last RA4 5 litre kit. Actually Agfa AP 94 Kit, designed for processing in tanks, rotary and roller transport, non replenishment systems.

I've been using this stuff for years in my Durst Printo and never noticed a bit if interesting information in the yield of solutions section.

I quote, "Per litre of tank solution: 2m square colour paper (38 sheets 20,3x25,4cm). You can increase the yield to 3m square/litre by raising the temperature of the colour developer 1ยบ C after processing 1 m square."

I sort of guess that the first metre of paper going through is like a starter kit for fresh replenishment systems, however this developer isn't designed for replenishment.

Any ideas?

Mick.

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think that's it. The 1 first metre is normal so to speak. At this point the developer is weakened. You could either extend the time or increase the temp to compensate. But with many RA-4 systems it'll be easier to raise the temp then to extend the time.

3. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's a point I hadn't thought of. I was more into thinking that the developer required seasoning.

I personally find at around 65 8x10 prints the bath is going off, not badly, but a bit. That is with 2.5 litres of solution!

Mick.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 27, 2005