Discussion in 'Film Dev - Non Staining' started by gainer, Nov 27, 2006.

EZ Rodinal

EZ Rodinal

1. gainer

gainer Subscriber

gainer submitted a new resource:

EZ Rodinal - EZ Rodinal

Read more about this resource...

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 6, 2016
  2. noseoil

noseoil Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Same dilutions as with "store bought" Rodinal and activity level the same? Thanks, tim

3. gainer

gainer Subscriber

Yep. I tried it with the times listed on the side of an old Rodinal bottle with Agfa 100. At first I thought the negative was much too flat, but it printed very well on a VC RC paper without any filter, and also scanned very well. I had set the Elan IIe meter for ISO 125, a slight underexposure, and photographed the edge of a deep woods with plenty of highlight and shadow.

4. Bruce Osgood

Bruce Osgood Membership Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I tried this formula with Pan F+ at box speed and 6 minutes as per MDC and got what I feel are identical results to Agfa's Rodinal.

EZ Rodinal has become my developer of choice for traditional films shot under 100 EI. I will be trying it on T-grain film soon, I hope it works as well.

5. coisasdavida

coisasdavida Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hello Gainer,

Sorry to bring such an old topic.
    I'd like to know how are the keeping qualities of your EZ Rodinal. Does it last at least a year?

Regards,
    Guilherme

6. amouco

amouco Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi Guilherme,

I've been doing this for the last year. And to be honest, if you make small batches of 250 ml (30 Paracetamol tablets 1000mg, 20gr NaOH and 50gr Sodium Sulphite) you'll most probably use it before it get bad. And when (or if) it gets bad, being so easy and cheap.. just make another batch.

In my case, I had a batch that lasted at least 6 months, without any "special" protection (the last solution was on an almost empty bottle, and worked the same.. to me).

It's fun.. enjoy!

7. dorff

dorff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A true Rodinal-like developer cannot be made using both sodium sulphite and sodium hydroxide. Either the one or the other, or both, needs to be potassium. With all-sodium chemistry, you will only get 80% of the total solubility required, and the developer will be prone to early failure. If you use potassium hydroxide, it is possible to make a full-strength developer with zero precipitate forming, and which lasts as long (practically forever) as Rodinal. Check my post history for a calculator in Excel that will calculate the quantities for any combination of paracetamol, p-aminophenol, sodium/potassium sulphite or metabisulphite, and sodium/potassium hydroxide. My oldest batch is now 3 years, with no sign at all of deteriorating.