F***ING SCRATCH

Discussion in 'Contact Printing' started by ilya1963, Apr 29, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ilya1963

ilya1963 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    :mad:

Sorry if the title comes accross too strong ...

BUT

I have a very important 8x10 negative that has a scratch , I have done all I could do to touch it up and have printed it and retouched it , but wonder what I could do to make a digital copy of this negative , is there anything i could read about this somewhere other then what I see when I do a Google search, I know that this huge brain trust has got to have someone that is in a know

ILYA

2. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Might it be possible to re-photograph the negative on a light-box, using a high-resolution digital camera?
    (I'm assuming that you're thinking of using software to digitally remove or retouch the scratch?)

3. Michel Hardy-Vallée

Michel Hardy-Vallée Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the olden days, retouching negatives was done using a variety of tools, such as the faithful lead pencil.

Depending on the film, you can retouch either on the base or the emulsion side, or on both sides. I think you might be able to find quite a few good posts on hand retouching on APUG. After all, some people here actually did it when it was still current!

4. bobwysiwyg

bobwysiwyg Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Without seeing the image to see how many elements of the pic are affected, you can work wonders in PhotoShop. I've used it a number of times to "restore" some old family pictures with a variety of flaws. It can be tedious depending on how bad it is, but it's surprising how much of an improvement you can make.

5. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ilya, speed thee over to hybridphoto.... sounds like a good candidate for an LVT.

6. dxphoto

dxphoto Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    find a flatbed scanner that takes the 8x10 neg, scan it in the high resolution (depends on your finial prints), then fix the scratch in Photoshop. This might be the easist way.

7. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Scan it. Use the Photoshop healing tool.

8. ilya1963

ilya1963 Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I scan, fix and then ........ print?
    sorry,
    here it goes................. on what?

are there different film bases available? do I need a special printer for this?

Thanks guys , I am a dumb ass when it comes to this

9. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you want to discuss making a digital negative, your best bet is to ask over on APUG's sister site, hybridphoto.com, since digital negs are off topic for APUG, and there is a vibrant discussion of this topic over there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.