F lenses on 500 c/m

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by johnielvis, Jul 4, 2012.

1. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was wondering if it's possible to use an f lens on a 500 c/m body. I have a body synch on my early c/m so it can work for flash or if I train myself to be accurate with the rear shutter by hand squeezing the time.

I experimented by taking my CF lenses and putting them in F mode--and also trying in "B" shutter mode.

Results:

the f mode functioned correctly (stopped down for the exposure) BUT the lens resets back to wide open before the back shutter is allowed to close.

the b mode worked just fine.

NOW--is this the proper function of F lenses or an artifact of the f mode on the cf lenses--in other words--if I put a REAL f-only lens on the body, will the aperture still reset before the rear shutter closes?

this is not really an issue for strobe work but if you're timing with smaller apertures, it is.....

anybody have an f lens that they can throw on a 500 body and see what it does when stopped down?

2. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    anybody have an f lens they can try this with and SEE what happens?

3. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No. You cannot use an F lens on a C camera in the general case, although the mounts are the same.

The C-series lenses have a built-in shutter that is not present in the F lenses, so there's no shutter at all
    in the camera if you mount an F lens.

You could of course resort to a close-fitting lens cap, but that's not guaranteed to be light tight, and requires
    fast hand work, particularly at shutter speeds of 1/30 and faster.

- Leigh

4. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    oh yes I can
    for strobe for sure
    if anybody has an F lens I want to know what happens to the aperture when it's stopped down during a fire cycle on a 500 series camera--does the aperture re-open before the rear shutter closes is the question I want answered.
    I can use an f lens if I like if I shoot with a strobe synched to the rear shutter--anybody can.

BUT I want to know if I can also shoot in regular light timing with my hand on the cable release--it's going to be just as accurate as a packard or studio shutter which I use also. and If I make a timed mechanical or electro-mechanical shutter actuator I can get it working with the back shutter just fine. I'm going to use barrel lenses on it anyways and I just want to know if f lenses can be used mounted to the bayonet.

ANYBODY with f lens and 500 body--can you take a couple of minutes and check what happens for me???

5. Leigh B

Leigh B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There is no "back shutter" in a C-series camera.

- Leigh

6. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think he means the auxiliary shutter.

7. skahde

skahde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used the aux shutter to control the exposure in more than one instance eg. with a pinhole-disc instead of a lens in the bayonet. Works like a charm.

Back to the question, the aperture in my F 2,8/80mm snaps open almost instantaneously after releasing the shutter. I assume you will have the same problem as with your CF-lens.

8. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    THANK YOU SIR!
    that's what I suspected....ok, now I know what I have to work with--this does NOT discout me getting an f lens to use wide open or with strobe--the opening at the end will happen when it's back to dark and the strobe is off so it wont' be an issue...

EXPERIMENT CONCLUDED--ok kiddies--the lab experiment is over, go home and perform the homework/writeup and be sure to use the proper graph paper.

9. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Maybe stupid question, but won´t it be possible to press the stop-down button while doing the exposure? Or would this be damaging to the camera? I have no real experience with this, it was just an idea...

10. johnielvis

johnielvis Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    it still opens up when the shutter closes--even with the stop down lever activated in my cf's in f mode, so I assume it's the same with the f--I'd want to have the auto-aperture anyways so it's really a moot point with that method anyways...