F3 and F focusing screens?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by chip j, Sep 3, 2013.

1. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Will Nikon F/F2 focusing screens fit the F3? I read they would, but I want to confirm before I do any damage. Thanks, Chip

2. f/16

f/16 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As far as I know, the short answer is no. You may be able to modify them-I don't know.

3. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    the F3 screens will fit a F2 although they have a 'key' the F3 screens are brighter... donno about full inter changibility F, F2, F3 the F3 may need the key to retain or fit...

4. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    but the screens are interchangeable between F F2 and F3 registration frames if you have watch makers screw driver and are dexter...

Id only do this one time for scrap frames and F3 screens are brighter not for penny pinching nooooooo

5. kobaltus

kobaltus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Red dot F3 screen is brighter than F2 screens. But installed in F2 body, because of little difference in size, this lead to focus error.

6. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    I'll tell my chum today he used a F3 screen in his F2 for a while.

7. 250swb

250swb Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You can use F3 screens in an F, so I imagine it is visa versa. Just swap the mount from one to the other.

Steve

8. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    well a F3 screen and mount will fit in a F2 and should be same at infinity, only swapped F and F2 screens between mounts and Im told F4 screens will swap in to earlier mounts donno myself

9. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    The screens are the same, however, if you install an F/F2 screen into an F3 without using the F3 frame, you won't be able to easily remove it. Nikon did that with the F3 Limited. Screen has the F/F2 style frame on it. A repair shop or someone with the correct tools is needed to remove the screen on that version.

Unlike the F and F2 bodies, the F3 doesn't use the same method of holding the screen and finder in place. Instead, it has a lip on the screen frame that is used to lift the screen out. The F4 screens have a different condenser glass piece, so there will be focusing errors if you try to use an F4 screen in an F3 or vice versa.

-J

10. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    my informant says you need to remove the F4 screen from the F4 mount a screw driver job