F3 & non-AI lenses

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by chip j, Jun 16, 2013.

1. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Will non-AI lenses work on the F3? I heard that there is a connection that pulls out of the camera for this purpose. Thanks

2. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    the F3, M and FE came out about the time Nikon switched ti AI so ikon put a small chrome button near the little index tab that when pressed lets you lift the tab out of the way. This lets you mount a non AI lens without damage but the meter will not work. Hope this helps

3. azzurri

azzurri Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You can mount non-AI lenses on the F3. And as you pointed out, you will need to lift the tiny "flap" on just above the mount. To meter, you will need to stop down.

4. Mick Fagan

Mick Fagan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As you face the camera without a lens and looking at it directly into the lens mount, the little lever that flips up is at the 1 O' Clock position.

To lift the little lever, you need to push down the little button, which is directly to the right of the little lever along the curve of the lens mount in. About 10mm further around the lens mount housing curve.

To close the lever to the normal down position, just push the lever down.

As I understand it, the F3 is capable of mounting any Nikkor SLR lens from 1959 onwards.

Mick.

5. Petzvalsum

Petzvalsum Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    AI conversion service for Nikon lenses

When I bought my F3, I did not understand what AI was all about. After I bought several non-AI lenses, I found it rather awkward to meter with them.

Soon, I sent 2 to John White http://www.aiconversions.com and I'm totally happy with his work. Very fast, too. Several day turn-around.

Larry in Kingston, Ontario.

6. chip j

chip j Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks to you all, Chip

7. barzune

barzune Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yep, use it all the time. My F3 is my only camera to carry, when I need my 24mm (non AI), my 50 AIS, my 105 (again non-ai) and my 70-300 ED. It largely depends on what assortment of lenses you have, but the F3 has a superb meter for non-AI, up to the newest lenses..

8. Eugen Mezei

Eugen Mezei Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  9. f/16

f/16 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Someone mentioned the F3's meter won't work with non AI lenses. I thought it would meter, but you have to use stop down metering with non AI lenses. And I also second John White's work. He converted 2 lenses for me and did a great job.

10. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are correct, the meter does work, but you have to use stop-down mode since the camera isn't coupled with the f/stop ring.

11. Eugen Mezei

Eugen Mezei Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is how I use my non-AI lenses: I don't measure with the lens stopped down but correct the amount of stops at the ASA button. This is easier, when you shot all day with the same aperture.