F4 or N90?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Markok765, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'm thinking about getting a camera for when I don't have time to change lenses, and also as a F5 backup. The F4s is at least $160, while the F90 is $47.
    What are the main differences and various strengths/weaknesses compared to each other. Thanks!

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    F100. More money but far better camera.

3. bnstein

bnstein Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    We're talking the top of the line nikon pro camera for the late 80s versus a prosumer model from the early 90s so in general:
    1. weight F4>>90
    2. robustness ditto
    3. changable finders F4 only
    4. electronics: more on F90. Had 3rd gen AF and probably flash and matrix metering
    5. IIRC AF quicker and more accurate on f90
    6. D lenses work on f90, old lenses with prongs dont

check out http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/hardwares/classics/nikonf4/index.htm and http://www.mir.com.my/rb/photography/companies/nikon/htmls/models/htmls/slr9294.htm

My 0.02:
    For a light use body that is going to be added to all the other stuff f90. Galen Rowell used to do a two body thing with a pro line camera and then the lightest prosumer model he could find as a backup/run or climb up into wierd places deal. For anything else F4 (see also http://www.cameraquest.com/nikonslr.htm)

4. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with Walt that an F100 is a very good backup for an F5, they handle somewhat similarly.

5. Terence

Terence Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The F4 autofocus is quite slow compared to the later cameras. My housemate had one, and my intro-level Rebel G at the, time beat his autofocus every time by quite a bit.

6. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Actually what do you think of the Nikon F3 as a 2nd camera?

7. kodachrome64

kodachrome64 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8300: BlackBerry9000/4.6.0.185 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/102)

F100 is THE backup for the F5. It's not that expensive and you can find a good deal.

8. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    F3 and F4 are too different from an F5, they could be distracting in that sense, if you are switching regularly between bodies. The F100 is a much better complement IMHO.

I mean... if you want to know my honest opinion... trade in the F5 and get two F100s :wink:

Now if, on the other hand, you want a second camera that really is different, then why not go really different and get a camera that fulfills a totally different purpose and is better suited to a different style... such as the street photography that you mentioned. For that I'd say why not look at an fm2n or such. I think you will find it much more useful for street than an F5.

Ah heck there are many excellent F bodies, you just need to get your mits on some and experiment.

9. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What he said for the reasons stated in later posts. I use an N75 [F75 outside North America] and an F100 interchangeably.

Steve

10. Soeren

Soeren Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My first Nikon Was a F(N)90X That I still have, use and like a lot. The second highly used and now main body was/is a F100 that took some getting used to but it is a better camera for most aplications. I then got a F3 from my brother. Actually it gets more action than I thought it would and since its lighter and smaller than both the F90X and F100 it goes any where as the backup and sometimes as the main camera.
    Kind regards

11. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have 4 N90s bodies that get used a lot for either field work or underwater photography (yes I use a housing). I also have a F5 that is a wonderful camera but for the most part my N90s's will do everything I want and more.

The added bonus is that is one gets broken I just chuck it and buy another as they are so cheap. The N90s is also lighter and smaller than the F5 unless I put one of the battery grips on it. If I feel I need the extra juice that's when I pull out the F5.

12. resummerfield

resummerfield Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have owned both the F4 and the N90, and I have found the N90 to be a more advanced camera with better autofocus.

But that said, the F100 is better than either the F4 or the N90. If I were to get a backup for the F5, it would only be an F100.

13. fschifano

fschifano Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Autofocus aside, I have an N90S and it does indeed work with older manual focus lenses. There is a little focus indicator (electronic rangefinder) that helps you nail focus if your eyes won't cooperate, but this isn't a unique feature. What you give up with manual focus lenses is matrix metering (no big deal here), and TTL flash.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Paul Jenkin

Paul Jenkin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Have to agree with the F100 lobby. I have one and it's a superb piece of kit. Solid, excellent meter and (although I haven't tried) it feels like the sort of camera you could use wearing mittens - i.e. everything laid ppit to perfection. F90 (N90) is probably an excellent camera but I wouldn't want to part with my F100.

16. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Off topic: Where do you do underwater photography? The Bow River? Lake Louise?

Interested readers want to know!

Steve

17. Eric Rose

Eric Rose Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Anywhere but Steve.

18. eddie gunks

eddie gunks Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    i used to use an N90s. now i have an F100.

the F100 can be had from 100-250! get one! skip the N90s

19. djacobox372

djacobox372 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    F100, only buy the f4 if you think you'll miss the weight of the f5.

Personally though, I love the design of the f4... it "feels" better to me then the f5 or f100.

20. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Eric,

Is that the Butt your wife photographed a while ago? :tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue::tongue:

Steve

21. Chaplain Jeff

Chaplain Jeff Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Hello,

The F4 is an incredible camera.

If you get an F4e and the multi-function back, it will do EVERYTHING the F5 will do AND matrix meter your AI / AIS lenses. You can also switch to one of the smaller battery pack configurations to make it a smaller, lighter camera than the F5.

If you've got an F5, then you don't have to worry about fast AF - just use the F5 for those shots. Also, if you use AF-S lenses the difference between an F4 and F5 / F100 is negligible.
    EVERY F100 / F5 FAN on this forum is going to shout BLASPHEMY!!!, but I've done the tests side by side and the facts are the facts.

As already stated, the n90 is not in the same league as the F4/F100/F5. Take it off your list for consideration. After using an F5, you will be sorely dissapointed.

The price F4's are going for now is insane. Get two.

22. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The N90s is a very nice rig. But, I think you'd be much happier with the superb F-100.

KK

23. Chaplain Jeff

Chaplain Jeff Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Oh, like everyone's surprised you would recommend that! :D

24. John_Nikon_F

John_Nikon_F Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I second KK's F100 recommendation. Price is about the same as a decent F4s, and the camera is more like an F5.

-J

25. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes F100 is the best backup if you already have a F5. Its like his little brother, you will pass from one camera to the other without having to adjust.
    F4 is fine but heavy and has a slower focusing speed.
    F3 is my preferred camera of the whole Nikon family.

26. Kiron Kid

Kiron Kid Member

Shooter:
    35mm

Except that the F100 has the better, red focus points.

Kiron Kid