F6 metering question

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Shawn Mielke, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Shawn Mielke

Shawn Mielke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    So I'm reading and searching and feel a little silly but have to ask point blank: Are the centerweighted and spot meters of the Nikon F6 normal 18% grey meters, or are they something more like the Matrix meter, which does all of the exposure compensation for the photographer? Thanks in advance.

Shawn

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Matrix gives you the computer assisted exposure compensation. The Nikon centerweighted and spot meter settings are the traditional 18% gray meters.

3. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The Nikon actually has three metering modes (at least in the F5): spot, center weighted and matrix metering, that you can switch between at will. The spot and center work just like you expect them to, while the matrix metering mode takes into account its internal database of images, coupled with the distance from the subject (if you are using a "D" lens) to determine exposure. I use the Matrix meter all the time, rarely using the others; it is that good. BTW, you can custom set the center weighted meter to, I believe, change from a 12° to 18°. Note: I haven't used the F6, and this is all based on the F5. I doubt much has changed in the meter.

4. Anupam Basu

Anupam Basu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A spot meter would be kind of pointless if wasn't reading middle grey. So, yes - only the matrix mode does matrix metering and "intelligent" metering.

5. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    My understanding is that in the Matrix Mode, the sensor, a 1005 pixel sensor, takes individual readings (18% grey of course) and compares the results with a database of images to determine the correct exposure.

6. Shawn Mielke

Shawn Mielke Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks to all who responded. The consensus here is the only answer that makes any sense, but the manual kind of threw me off when describing zero on the electronic analog exposure display as simply "good exposure"...
    Top of page 71. I started thinking, "what could 'good exposure' possibly be? Does this mean that the camera continues to make exposure judgements on my behalf?" Glad to have that simply clarified. Forgive me, I'm used to match needle metering.

Cheers,

Shawn

7. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The only time you should see an analog exposure display in your cameras prism, is if you are shooting in manual exposure mode (M), which is a different subject than metering modes. The F5 (and by extension F6) shoots in Manual, Shutter Priority, Aperature Priority and Program Mode (a combination of aperature and shutter priority).