FA 1027 film developer

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Aggie, Aug 6, 2004.

1. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2004
  2. bmac

bmac Member

Any developer that needs that much hype to sell isn't worth trying in my book. "This is the best black and white film developer available" Give me a break :smile:

3. L Gebhardt

L Gebhardt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have a bottle that I plan on trying. I don't expect it to be much better than DD-X or HC-110 but who knows. Maybe I will test it this weekend - I will let you know.

4. garryl

garryl Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If that is true, then why are we using anyones developer? :confused: I doubt there'snot been any that haven't been hyped at one time or another by one expert or another. :wink:

5. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I hope that they are more careful with their "precise balance between Phenidone and the developing agent Hydroquinone" than they are with the controls on their hype generator. Agfa Acros? HC-100? HC stands for 'high contrast' in HC-110?

Best,
    Helen

6. gainer

gainer Subscriber

I saw that blurb and was turned off by it.
    The optimum ratio of hydroquinone to phenidone in my experience is as high as you can go. The peak at 40:1 in the superadditivity curve shown in "Theory og the Photographic Process" is a bit misleading, as it shows what happens as you increase one agent as you decrease the other. If you held phenidone constant while increasing hydroquinone you would see an increase in activity asymptotically approaching a maximum, with little change after a ratio of 40:1. Excess hydroquinone above 40:1 increases the capacity, which may be usefull to users of tube processors, and increases resistance to aerial oxidation. Beside, you and I know that when you are "optimizing" a developer, you add this or that until you get what you want and then write down the result.

7. Jorge

Jorge Inactive

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The ability to produce an optimum negative with any black and white film, whether standard “random grain” (HP-5, FP-4, Pan –F, Tri-X, etc), or “fabricated grain” or “T-Grain” (Ilford Delta 100, Kodak T-Max, Agfa Acros). You get the same, full information negative, only the development times change.

I like this one better. Excuse my ignorance, but isnt this how all developers work?

I had not visited this site since it opened, some of the infromation I found here seems to be less than accurate in favor of hype.

8. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "FA-1027 maintains a precise balance between Phenidone and the developing agent Hydroquinone. It also utilizes 2 restrainers, Potassium Bromide and (sic) Benzatriazole. This accounts for (sic) it’s remarkable performance."

Yeah, their hype generator was definitely in hyperdrive.... But it's clear that its spelling and grammar checkers are not functioning.

Sounds like FA may have re-discovered Kodak's HC110.

On the other hand, they may have just bottled up Pat Gainer's Phenidone/Hydroquinone/Polyethylene Glycol (or TEA) formulation, adding a smidgen of KBr and Benzotriazole for good measure.

9. mark

mark Member

It is a new company. Their hype will dwindle I hope. But I wish them luck as it must be tough to get a traditional photo business going these days.

10. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It sounds very much like FX-37 with bromide instead of iodide.

11. mobtown_4x5

mobtown_4x5 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Well, nothing wrong with enthusiasm I guess. Cool web site with what looks like some interesting products. I would try and buy something from these guys if I get the chance. Wonder what the film is?
    Anyone ever seen one of thier field cameras in person?

Matt

12. Helen B

Helen B Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wonder what the film is?

FP4+?

13. Tom Hoskinson

Tom Hoskinson Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Helen,
    FX-37 is a variation on the Ilford Microphen formulation (Phenidone/Hydroquinone/Borax). Note that Crawley's published formulation contains a pretty hefty dose of sulfite, plus KBr and Benzotriazole.

The FA literature implies that their developer is a low or no sulfite developer.

The easiest way to achieve long shelf life with a P/Q developer that has no or low sulfite is to mix it without water, using either one of the glycols or triethanolamine as the solvent.

The dilution ranges that FA cites imply that their developer is more highly concentrated than FX-37. This is another argument for use of triethanolamine as the solvent/organic base.

Geoffrey Crawley’s FX-37

FX-37 STOCK SOLUTION

Distilled Water--------------- 750 ml
    Sodium Sulfite---------------- 69 grams
    Hydroquinone------------------ 5 grams
    Sodium Carbonate (anhy)-------5 grams
    Phenidone----------------------0.5 grams
    Borax (Sodium Borate)----------2.5 grams
    Potassium Bromide--------------0.5 grams
    Benzotriazole, 1% Solution------5 ml
    Distilled water to make--------1000 ml

USAGE
    Dilute 1:3. Dilute 1:5 for longer developing times and increased film speed.

14. argentic

argentic Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, definitely FP4+. In a FA newsletter it is stated that the film is virtually identical to FP4+ and should be handled exactly the same to produce exactly the same results. It´s just cheaper than Ilford.

Gilbert

15. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Well,

I bought one of these bottles of FA-1027, as I was getting some of the film anyway, and must say that the negatives look pretty impressive. I am yet to print any of it, this is just a first initial reaction.
    Negatives are clean, clear, has good contrast and tone. They will probably be fairly easy to print judging by the look of it. It seems as if FA-1027 is a fine developer.
    I don't know much about the technical side of things, how different ingredients affect developing. Normally I am a fan of Agfa Rodinal, mostly because of the sharpness the negatives yield. Frankly, the FA-1027 negatives look every bit as sharp. I will report more after some are printed.

- Thomas
    Saint Paul, MN

16. argentic

argentic Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Have you ever printed them?

G.