Fairfax competition warning

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Ross Chambers, Mar 19, 2012.

1. Ross Chambers

Ross Chambers Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  2. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the info/link.

Dominik

3. jford

jford Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Does the Murdoch press miss any opportunity to attack the opposition? Not likely. Not news.

4. Michael W

Michael W Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is most certainly news. The Australian is just reporting the information given by Arts Law.

The competition PR person says "The point of the competition . . . is to be able to collect these photos and to create an asset, a coffee table book, that we can then on-sell. And we need the copyright to these photos to do that,"
    Whereas the Arts Law person says "They don't need exclusive rights. A non-exclusive licence would be sufficient for their purposes," Ms Ayres said. "They are also asking for certain warranties in relation to the work which you would usually see in a highly commercial agreement."

Hopefully if this stuff is publicised it will prompt organisers of other competitions to have fairer conditions.

5. sharperstill

sharperstill Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    FWIW, News Ltd has done exactly the same thing twice in the last 5 years or so with Travel & Relationship themes competitions promoted through the Oz's weekend magazine...

6. hoffy

hoffy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello! Are you guys new to this kind of competition?

This kind of crap has been going on for years - I.E., have a 'Photo' competition where by entering you sign over the rights of the photo to some organisation. I think the big difference between this one and others, is that most of these comps are aimed at happy snappers, where's this one seems to be aimed at higher level entrants.

I remember one comp where my wife wanted to send in some pics (centro shopping centres I think it was) which had this kind of malarky in the terms.

Always, I repeat, Always read the terms and conditions of any comp - especially if the organiser is from the corporate side of the fence.

7. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Arts Law Centre and National Association for the Visual Arts both discourage entering competitions where the artist signs over all and sundry rights.
    The problem is endemic to the print media and has so far resisted changes to the law that forbids copyright reassignment. For the artists involved, it can result in a lost of royalties which are now a common part of the photographic trade landscape, both in electronic and traditional forms.

8. Leigh Youdale

Leigh Youdale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Call me mean spirited or paranoid but I NEVER enter competitions nor put my images up on public galleries.

9. Poisson Du Jour

Poisson Du Jour Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

You're definitely not alone thinking like that, Leigh.
    If pictures should be seen at all, they should be printed, framed and put on the wall, not splashed across the lawless badlands of the internet where anybody can come along and call them "Mine!".

10. John Austin

John Austin Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Leigh, You are mean spirited and paranoid - Now that request has been answered, to the real text

I feel we should pass this and all info' of similar kind more broadly that APUG/LFPF/RFF

I have so far passed it on to colleagues on Linked In, on the bloggy bit of my website and to my friends (the few I have left) email list - If any of you lurk the murky depths of FB and Twitter please spread it there as well