Fake "Gold Leica" on eBay.

Discussion in 'Rangefinder Forum' started by JPD, Feb 19, 2009.

1. JPD

JPD Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  2. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I reported it.

3. Leigh Youdale

Leigh Youdale Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I wouldn't get too excited about it - or you'll get yourself in a lather every week! these things keep coming out of the FSU and all sorts of exotic variants appear on EBay with great regularity.
    I've just sold one the same that I bought a couple of years ago, thinking it might be a cheap way into Leica territory. Well, it was - I put one roll of film through it and went and bought a IIIf.
    And now I've sold the fake for 2/3rds of what it cost me. Serves me right.

4. nemo999

nemo999 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Listing now has the addition:
    Der Verkäufer hat dieses Angebot beendet. (Näheres finden Sie unter Umständen in nachfolgender Artikelbeschreibung.)
    The seller has terminated this listing. (Further details may be given in the article description below)
    [they aren't]

I don't think this type of thing does much harm - no, it isn't a Leica, no, it isn't gold, but anyone who believed it was would deserve to lose their money.

5. walter23

walter23 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Caveat emptor applies.

These leica rip-offs are well known, quite common, and in some respects are considered collector's items in their own right. I'm not sure I appreciate you "reporting it". Some people are legitimately interested in buying these, believe it or not :smile:

6. Pete H

Pete H Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I doubt whether anyone would have an issue if it were sold as a "Leica copy". Advertising it as the real thing suggests an intent to deceive.

7. ath

ath Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Well, I understand that some people collect these. However this item was advertised as genuine Leitz camera which is simply wrong. I see only two reasons to do so: 1. he didn't know better and in this case he should be happy that someone told him so; 2. he wanted to get more money than it's worth. This is fraud.

If this item would have been described as "Leica copy" or "Fake Leica" everything would have been OK,

8. nicefor88

nicefor88 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    You guys are all in the right. If someone wants to buy a copy, fake or make-believe, that's their right but adverts must not mislead and if intent to deceive is obvious then it should be reported. Ha!

9. archphoto

archphoto Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The item was pulled without a sale, so the guy learned his lesson.
    2 May 2009

Peter

10. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You nosey bastards just ruined my gold-plated one Euro Leica buying experience.

11. Lruw

Lruw Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Most of the ads I see mention that they're fake. Honestly, some of the fakes are pretty well refurbished in mechanics and appearance. It's no Leica, but they're not always the worst deal possible.