fake hasselblad acute matte D screen?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by bowie, Nov 14, 2008.

1. bowie

bowie Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    Hi!
    I'm a happy owner of hasselblad 503cx (year of production 1989). Bought it on ebay in mint condition. Looks that the attached screen is acute matte D type, because it has two little D shaped notches in the metal frame. It has microprism and split-image, so as far as I know it's number is 42215. I have second hand camera, my friend is the first owner of 501 model equipped in plain screen 42204. I find his screen much, much brighter than mine. My screen is hard to focus...
    I do not think D type screens were available back in 1989, so looks that previous owner changed original non D type to D acute matte. Anyway, I suspect that the screen is a fake D type. Perhaps someone put old type screen glass to metal frame that comes from D type. Is it possible?
    thanks for help.
    chris

2. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am sure it is possible but seems like a lot of work for such a thing.

Is this your first Hasselblad ?

3. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A lot of work, but very profitable.

The market is awash with screens made in China.
    They cost next to nothing in China. But will - if the deception is a success - fetch US$ 100, or thereabouts.

So it is possible, yes.

4. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I had no idea about the knock offs.

5. bowie

bowie Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    David, this is my first hasselblad. I really, really enjoy the camera. The only thing that annoys me is the poor focusing screen - dim and hard to focus...
    Well, I'm afraid you are right, it can be china fake screen. Buying new screen on ebay is a risk... The best solution would be buying the new screen from Bill Maxwell, but it cost at least 300USD + duty + tax in my country. This is very expensive option. I will have to think it over. thanks

6. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Are you sure the lens is opened up all the way and you are not trying to focus through a stopped down lens?

As for ebay, buy from a reputable seller.

7. bowie

bowie Member

Shooter:
    35mm Pan
    No, I focus in the correct way, not through stopped down lens.

I have maunted in my hasselblad my friend's screen. Difference between mine and his screen was striking. My friends screen is much, much better. That's why I know that there is something wrong with my screen. Thanks again for help

8. cowanw

cowanw Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I am sure that there are many used acumate screens available in many camera stores in north america that members would buy and mail you for much less than 300$.
    Regards
    Bill

9. mikebarger

mikebarger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Look at the brightscreen brand.

I've got a brightscreen in my cm and the D in a 500 elx, no difference.

Mike

10. Changeling1

Changeling1 Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Do you know if these Chinese knock-off screen makers have made any phony Beattie Intenscreens?

11. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I do not, no.

But don't worry too much about these Chinese screens. Most screens offered for sale are 'original' ones.

The biggest problem buying used screens is that sellers often pair their old screens up with boxes of their new screens, and sell them as whatever it says on the box, not as what they are.

Hmm... another reason to be very weary when buying used screens for Hasselblads...

12. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I am not making any comment about the accu-matte screen since I have never used one. Any Hasselbald supplied screen fron 500c model onward, that I have experienced, has been a joy to use. I, as would anyone, resent being defrauded. I am inclined to think that someone has sold you a piece of crap, that is either defective or bogus.