Falling in and out of love....aah!....eh!..

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by jovo, Dec 31, 2007.

1. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I am currently preparing for a rather large show, and have just done some preparations for two other ones. As a musican, I am fully aware of the notion of having a repertoire....a group of pieces I can be fully prepared to play with very little notice, but they are the compositions of others. I make my best efforts at bringing them to life, but my mission is to reveal the expression of the composer as filtered through my lens, but I don't have to adjudicate the value of the work....it's established.

My photographs, however, are subject to a much more emotional crucible. When I make them, I either really, really like them....or I really, really don't, and they're "outta here". BUT...and the point of this thread...is that my feelings about my most favored work can vary considerably, and can sometimes be extremely negative which amazes me since it was "not so long ago" that I thought AA and EW should offer me a high five for it.

Am I alone in this regard? Do ya'll experience a similar swing?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2007
  2. thebanana

thebanana Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Absolutely. For varying periods of time I really like most of my prints, but soon enough I can't stand some of them. I find myself obsessing on the imperfections of the print itself, the composition, the tones, subject matter etc. Sometimes this can me motivating to move on and do new things, sometimes it makes me want to take up knitting.

3. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    where and when is the show ?

4. jovo

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The largest show is at the Wallkill River School and Gallery in Montgomery, NY. It's a new gallery organized by artists. My wife ( a real, and incredibly good painter, printmaker, and photographer ), and I have been juried into membership as represented artists. There is a show of the 20 or so represented artists beginning January 12th. My wife and I have a duo show in March with an opening on March 8th. If you can get there, you are all invited. I'll do my best to provide some seriously worthwhile libations! And thank you for asking, david b.

5. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I'll be heading that way in March. I'll be sure to have a look.

Good luck.

Peace Love and Happiness.

Happy New Year.

6. AZLF

AZLF Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    An interesting question. Especially when tied somewhat to music. As a recording musician I found that once I opened the perception door of "music production" I could no longer listen as an innocent bystander as it were. And I never found a door though which I could return. Also, on the music front I found that if I listened immediately after recording I would usually not like the take finding too many perceived flaws in the performance. But even a few hours separation between recording and listening would "smooth" the performance out quite a bit. Gross errors were of course still gross errors but the tiny little things I didn't like at first listen would have dropped more to the background. The one thing I did learn through this is that there will NEVER be a "perfect" take". I'm a human and not a machine thus I will never produce a perfect anything. The satisfaction for me is of course getting as close to perfect as I can given the situation.

In the area of photography things are a bit different. Some of the photos I have from years ago which I thought at the time were wonderful have not aged well. I think this is (in my case anyway) because those photographs were pretty good for a student of the art but a more experienced eye sees the .....shallowness if you will. Others have stood the test of time and I still see a good photo as I view them because they are good photographs. They have the "depth" that good photos have. Of course now this gets into what defines a "good" photo and I admit my tastes in this run along classic lines. Good composition. Balanced graphic "weight" through the image. A visual lyricism if you will.

The photo's I still like from 20 years ago have these components. The ones I don't like anymore are lacking in one or more of these areas.

7. Alden

Alden Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My congratulations on your upcoming exhibit. Self criticism is both an ally and and enemy. I rarely am satisfied with my own work, and that keeps me going to an extent, but you have to watch out for habitual denegration, which in my opinion is nothing but another form of egotism. I regret having to say this, as I defy it in practice, but having outside feedback and bringing your work to both an informed public and professional critics is ultimately how something is finally judged. You are not responsible beyond the creation of a work. Your
    responsibility is only to show it, not to judge it. Many of us would rather not enter the fray and unfortunately this leads to stagnation and endless churning. Best of luck, and enjoy the wine.

8. jovo

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good advice.

9. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    OK, John, now that's just funny ... :D

No. I know other photographers and painters that are very harsh about their own work.

Personally, no. I don't include myself in the group I just mentioned. :wink:

10. jovo

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aaaaiiiiieeee.........you don't think they would've???.....oh grief!...oh sadness...!!! (Is there a silly enough emoticon for this?? :rolleyes:smile: :D

11. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah, I hate my work on a regular basis until I change my mind about it. Sometimes I go in cycles, sometimes when someone points out how they like an image, I rethink it and look at it again, sometimes my love for an image will eventually wan. Yeah, I second that emoticon.

12. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    John,

Please post a "reminder" thread when we get closer to March 8th. Walkill isn't that far from Copake.

13. papagene

papagene Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How far is Wallkill from New Paltz? I used to make the Springfield to New Paltz drive on a regular basis when my daughter attended SUNY New Paltz. If the weather is good, maybe I can make it.

gene

14. jovo

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi gene!

I think it would be best to use google maps or map quest to get an accurate sense of the distance and route. The gallery is the Wallkill River School and Gallery, but the town it's in is Montgomery which is just north of the Orange County Airport (in case you want to take your GulfStream IV over here...).

As George mentioned, I will put up a notice here a bit in advance of the show. Thanks for thinking about it!

And.....Happy New Year! ya'll.

15. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The content I can live with, it's the interpretations that can make me cringe. What I called a 'Fine Print' ten years ago would be a work print today, and I can find it very uncomfortable seeing old work on someone's wall!

Murray

16. Thomas Bertilsson

Thomas Bertilsson Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Murray said it for how I feel. I am comfortable with the subject matter that I choose. How I choose to print it is where I really make myself uncomfortable. One day I want to print it dark, another with brilliant glistening highlights, another lith, and yet another day in some strange exotic technique I'm not even familiar with.
    I think as long as I'm comfortable with the subject matter I can convince myself to stop being critical of the printing as long as I'm somewhat consistent.
    I always hate printing for shows, since it's about completing a task more than being passionate about the work. However, I do think that it helps you grow as an artist to print, mat, and frame your work, even some that you do not favor at the moment. I think it helps you see your work as a whole, see how a theme or a project is developing. It can also help bring closure to a project, a stepping stone to something else, something new.
    - Thomas

17. Whiteymorange

Whiteymorange Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've found it's best for me to leave my work alone once I frame it. If I try to look at it critically at that point, all I see is what I think I wanted to make, rather than what's there. I spend a lot of time before framing (paintings, mostly) being super-critical and asking for feedback. After the stuff is on the wall, I let other people tell me what they see. I'm not sure any artist is objective enough to be his or her own best critic - better just to move on to the next project.

18. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is excellent advice, Whitey.

19. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    "Strike another match, go start anew"-Bob Dylan.

20. MenacingTourist

MenacingTourist Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Don't fall in love too fast

I think as long as you don't fall in love too fast and can keep an objective perspective you'll be OK. The problem I see with young designers is they fall in love with thier work and stop seeing it objectively. Once you loose the ability to self edit you're screwed.

Get the work printed and leave it for a little while. Then come back and try to view it with new eyes like you're a different person...Edit as you see fit.

Good luck with your show!

Alan.