FAO Photo Contest

Discussion in 'Geographic Location' started by johnnywalker, Jul 29, 2006.

1. johnnywalker

johnnywalker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Not sure where to put this, but:

FAO is launching a photo contest to recognize the beauty of forests and the people who use them.

Murray??

www.fao.org/forestry/site/35225/en

2. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks for the tip Johnny - I do have a few Haisla culturally modified cedar images in my quiver. I'll ponder this one for sure, but I'm not big on contests...

Murray

3. WarEaglemtn

WarEaglemtn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    THE COPYRIGHT WILL PASS TO FAO, BUT I WILL BE CREDITED.

What a crock. They are taking the copyright of anything you enter.

Add to that they can't acknowledge receipt nor will they return anything. Why doesn't the UN use a bunch of the observers running from Lebanon to keep track of the photos?

This is just another scam and a way to take your photos without payment of fees or licensing agreements.

Read the rules and if you enter anything you are a fool.

4. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    As I read it, that part was optional.

The following is a quote from their site;

"A panel of foresters and photographers will select the best 20 photos for display at an international conference on forests, the 18th session of the FAO Committee on Forestry, in March 2007. One of the photographers among the top 20 winners will be invited to attend. Selected photos will be published on the FAO Forestry Web site and in Unasylva, FAO’s international journal of forestry."

This wouldn't be unlike "Insert-Your-Favourite-Nature-Photographer" giving some images to the Sierra Club for a campain to protect an area. The way I see it, this isn't a contest with a $10,000.00 first prize...it's about helping people realize the lasting economic value of mature forests.

Because I don't like contests I probably won't enter, but thank you Johnny for thinking of me. We have probably spent more time 'off trail' than 'on trail' in our forest wanderings, and it makes me feel good that you thought of me :smile:

Murray

5. Wigwam Jones

Wigwam Jones Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I appreciate the tip-off, and I do sometimes enter contests, but I don't like the UN and strongly suspect that they'll look for a 'winner' whose photo can be used for agit-prop against the West in general, or the US in specific, as usual. So, no.