Fast 35mm compact with non-wide lens?

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by mcgrattan, Apr 30, 2007.

1. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi,

I wondered if anyone had made a fast lens'd compact where the lens wasn't a 35mm lens or wider?

I love my mju II, but I generally prefer a slightly longer lens -- 50mm or so. All th fast compacts seem to be 35mm or wider.

Anything out there that'd do me? Something with a 50mm f2.8 or similar? I was taking some photos at a gig last night where I could just have done with a tiny bit longer focal length.

2. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  3. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I was thinking more of a pocketable camera -- something I can just throw in a pocket when I don't want to carry a bag. 45 or 48 would be fine, I think.

I actually just bought an S2 (waiting for it to arrive, it was posted last week) and it might be something I can use in the future. I also have a couple of other small rangefinders -- manual screwmounts -- which are good for that sort of thing but just a little too big.

That's a nice page on the S2, by the way.

4. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks,

... and if you can be ok with 42mm, there are pocketable options like Olympus 35RC (rangefinder) or even 35EC2 (zone focus).

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Late Kodak Retina folder (IIa second series or later) with f/2 Rodenstock (Heligon) or Schneider (Xenon) lenses. The late f/2.8 interchangeable-front-component option was even sharper but I love my Heligon.

Cheers,

R.

6. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was going to say Retinette 1a, which has a 45mm F2.8 lens. It's cheap but still pretty good for what it is.

7. bdial

bdial Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second Roger and Firecrackers suggestion. Retina II's and III's are plentiful. Both the II's and III's were available with f2 lenses, and these are common on ebay.
    For a brief overview
    I's have no rangefinder, these are the smallest and lightest
    II's have rangefinders
    III's have rangefinders and meters, + interchangeable elements for wide angle and tele.

All are pocketable, but not exactly light for their size. Here's what Stephan Gandy has to say about them. http://www.cameraquest.com/retIIa.htm

8. mcgrattan

mcgrattan Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Retina suggestions are good ones. I've often looked at 35mm folders online and wondered about them. They'd have been perfect. I didn't need a meter since I'd have shot at wide-open at whatever I can hold, anyway.