Faucet advice?

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Jon Shiu, Feb 7, 2005.

1. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    Just picked up an 8ft. ABS sink and was wondering what type of faucet to get? Would an ordinary kitchen faucet work. I'm making a community darkroom so need to keep costs to a minimum. How do I drill the holes for the faucet in the ABS?

thanks,

Jon

2. Loose Gravel

Loose Gravel Member

I bet everyone has something different. I use a wall mount mixing kithcen faucet. About $20. It's about 18" above the sink with a long hose. I also have several hose bibs that are just cold water for the print washer, etc. In line filter on the cold filters out the chunks.

3. John Koehrer

John Koehrer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hole saws of the appropriate diameter, use'm with an elec. drill. ABS cuts like butter.

4. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I second the recommendation for the extra faucets for washers and other equipment. I have the cold water feed on my sink coming straight from the Leedal to keep the water temp sane and only the hot water side of the washup sink is hooked straight to the hot water line. One advantage to this is if the power fails during a long rinse it shuts off the water, which is a good thing because my drain has to go to a grey water sump to get to the sewer line. If that was out and the water still going.....sploosh, splash, grrr.

5. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Make sure your faucet has enough clearance for tall jugs and graduates. You ideally want a utility faucet with a hose fitting, rather than a kitchen faucet with an aerator fitting, though I'm sure there are adapters. I like the idea of multiple faucets, so you can have one for a print washer, one for a water jacket, one for a film washer, one for hand washing, one for a hose to use for local bleaching, etc., in your busy and productive darkroom.

6. Nige

Nige Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I should have talked to David before setting up my sink! I got a coouple of those aspects right... I was a bit rushed in spec'ing that aspect for the plumber (he was doing the rest of the house at the time) and I only got him to install one outlet. A 2nd would be very nice...

I have a laundry 'spout' which is about 10-12 inches long (horizontal) which swivels and extends to almost double that length, and it's quite high up above the sink. 99% of the time I have a 2ft length of hose pushed on the end which has std a garden 'click' fitting on it which I either have a simple hose joiner inserted to direct water better than the 'click' fitting, hooked up to film washing hose (Paterson) or is connected to my tray washer (homemade thing).

7. Jon Shiu

Jon Shiu Subscriber

Shooter:
    Plastic Cameras
    thanks for all the answers. I will look for some wall mount faucets... and plenty of them!

Jon