Favor to ask all Minolta manual focus 35mm Users

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by Jedidiah Smith, Mar 17, 2010.

1. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A big hello to all the Minolta manual focus 35mm users here.
    I am working with Antony Hands to expand and improve the Rokkor Files in the near future. I would like to have your advice on a piece I wrote on the X-370 before I submit it to go "live".

If any of you would like to take a look at it and give me your comments and critiques, I would be happy to email you the word document (with photos embedded).
    Just send me a PM here with your email address, and I will send the file.
    Hope to hear back from some of you,
    Jed

2. silentworld

silentworld Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for taking the effort to update the Rokkor Files. It was one of my favorite sites when I entered into the wonderful manual Minolta world a few years ago. I like the system so much that I now have 8 bodies and about 20 lens. Unfortunately, i never used X-370. I only have X-700 and X-570, so I am not sure if i can help you with your article or not.

3. kuyman

kuyman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The Rokkor Files rock. I like this idea, I like the X-370! Thanks!

4. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for The Rokkor Files. I have around 20 Minoltas, but not the X-370.

5. Cliffy13

Cliffy13 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Great to see this site I have literally in the last week picked up a very cheap SRT101b and am looking to get some lenses for it to add to the 28mm Rokkor that came with it

6. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thank you all for the kind comments. I cannot take credit for the site - it is literally hundreds of hours of work on Antony's part. However, at this point we are realizing that most of the manual Minolta sites have vanished or are no longer in use. There is a need for this information to be available to the group, and I am helping Antony with revamping the site, updating and filling in gaps in information where we can. A new look will be coming this spring (we hope).

Thanks to all who requested the article, I look forward to your comments. I will also be doing an XE review, which I am currently in the middle of. If any of you have specific information on the XE (XE-1, XE-7 depending on market location), please PM me and I'll include it!
    Jed

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2010
  7. winger

winger Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I used an X-370 for several years (it's still around here somewhere). I don't know how much help I could be, but PM me if you think I can be.

8. Mike Wilde

Mike Wilde Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I value the Rokkor Files when it is time to consider more Minolta MF gear. I have stalled a bit on that as of recent. LF bug has me for the time being, and MF was it's precursor.

I got the first lead on why I would want a x-570 there after my x-700 took a swim. x-570 meters so much cleaner in manual than the x-700 did. Now I own two ( or is it three , but two work... my GAS is showing).

9. zk-cessnaguy

zk-cessnaguy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'll put my hand up to help too. PM sent.

10. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I know nothing about the X370, but I want to express my thanks to you and Antony for all the work you've put in.

11. Chazzy

Chazzy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't own an x370, but good luck with the project.

12. Nikon Collector

Nikon Collector Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Used a X700 for years but it didn't survive a fall to a concrete floor at a wedding reception, I replaced it with a X370n, but my daughter started a photography course and kinda took it over. I have about 25 bodies now, 2 of them mioltas, but I still miss that X700.

13. Jedidiah Smith

Jedidiah Smith Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Haha, nice! Well, as good as the X-700 was, it isn't built like the SRT 102, XE-7 or even the XD-11. They *may* have survived the fall...doubtful, though. What you really need is a Maxxum 9 if you're into drop tests with cameras! :D

Thanks for the story about the X-700; it makes me wonder how many of us "cut our teeth" on those good old manual Minolta SLRS. My first was my Dad's X-700 that he gave me in high school to shoot B&W film for a Year Book class...guess the rest is history for me. :wink:

Thanks, and I'll let you all know when the project is online. Might be a bit, though, because I think the site is due for a major overhaul and fresh look.
    Jed

14. Brian Bilgere

Brian Bilgere Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The X700 is rugged enough for me. My first is almost 30 years old with no service calls (knock on wood) and I still use it.

Good luck with the updates.

15. Joe O'Brien

Joe O'Brien Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've never handled anything more recent that an sRT 101, I have however been a huge fan of the Rokkor Files. Here's to everyone helping it stay alive!

If you ever come up with another piece of equipment just PM me and if I have it I'll be happy to throw in my two cents.

16. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I am an XE-1 (XE-7 in US) owner so I can't offer any advice on the X370 other than to add my appreciation to you for expanding an already excellent website.

Steve.

17. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Great job on the site. I 'cut my teeth' on an X-370. And Minolta is my 35mm workhorse system, when I'm not lugging around the 4x5, which is now in the back seat, screaming for attention.

Thanks for keeping on keeping on with the Rokkor Files.

18. unohuu

unohuu Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    send me a copy of the article...unohuu@gmail.com

Luke

19. superpos

superpos Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    great page, using it a lot