favorite bag that doesn't scream photographer

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Equipment' started by msbarnes, Dec 1, 2011.

1. msbarnes

msbarnes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What's your favorite bag when traveling light? By light I do not necessarily mean a small 35mm camera, but just when you aren't carrying a ton of lenses, tripod, etc.

I have a small Manhattan Portage bag but I do not like it too much. I like the minimalist look but it feels too stiff and there aren't any compartments. I haven't shopped around, but most camera bags look too much like camera bags so I prefer general-use messengers.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 1, 2011
  2. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    If you like messenger bags, Crumpler makes photo inserts for theirs. I like the Urban Disguise bags. I have two now. They're very well made and designed and they blend in with the kinds of bags one sees on the subway all the time.

3. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening,

I have a small Craftsman (Sears) tool bag which I sometimes use when carrying just a few items. These are available elsewhere (Lowes, Home Depot, etc.) in various sizes and configurations. Most don't have shoulder straps, but they generally have numerous pockets and compartments.

Konical

4. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  5. Gerald C Koch

Gerald C Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Some people use a small cooler, the size that holds a six pack, They are cheap, rigid and provide protection from heat. They also provide good protection for your equiment. Besides who is going to steal someone's lunch.

6. imokruok

imokruok Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I will second the Crumpler bags. They're durable, well-padded, and wear very well. And they don't look like camera bags, more like a college student messenger bag.

7. tony lockerbie

tony lockerbie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Tony, can you be cool with a hipster manbag?

8. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a diaper bag converted to photographic use that I use sometimes.

I'm not sure what it screams :smile:

9. Tony Egan

Tony Egan Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Only a few of us can pull it off...

10. Rick A

Rick A Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I purchased a small carry bag from Cabela's for $10, has a couple of dividers and outer zip compartments, and a shoulder strap. It works well for 35mm or my Mamiya stuff such as extra lenses and a flash, plus filters, film, etc. Unfortunatly, the camera hanging around my neck screams camera.

11. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have a Think Tank "Urban Disguise" bag that's more of a "man bag" than camera bag in appearance (the maker's intent, no doubt). I have the 30 size which is pretty much suited for one 35mm, a spare lens, a handful of film and maybe a flash; the lens can be fairly long. They make it in several different sizes. The bags seem well made, but the zipper opening across the center of the top, as opposed to a flap, makes it tedious to get stuff in and out.

Like Rick A, I also have a couple of non camera bags, indeed one from Cabela's. But after 70 years and many tries, I still haven't found the "right" bag! (Maybe it's because I keep doing different projects with different equipment - nah, that couldn't possibly be it! :D)

These days, a non-camera bag might be perceived to contain a fancy phone or tablet computer, so maybe those diaper bag ideas are best!

DaveT

12. mjs

mjs Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use a small soft-sided cooler bag into which I've fitted some semi-rigid foam to divide it into a few compartments and add some extra padding around the walls. Looks utterly innocuous and works fine!

Mike

13. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    A small military style dark olive/green canvas bag which cost about £5.

Steve.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. darkosaric

darkosaric Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use eastpack backpack - and camera inside is in plastic bag.

16. onepuff

onepuff Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Domke make some very good smaller canvas bags that are quite soft and don't scream "photographer". Have you thought about just wearing a jacket with large pockets and carrying the camera in a pocket? I do exactly that with an Olympus OM.

17. Mainecoonmaniac

Mainecoonmaniac Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  18. msbarnes

msbarnes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks! I'm not necessarily in the market for a new bag; I was just curious to know what you guys use. I like to carry a camera on me quite often so I stick a 35mm/120 folder and a meter in whatever bag I'm using. This OK for these cameras but I'd want a better bag when I want to carry a little more. The lowepro and domke bags look interesting.

19. rthomas

rthomas Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My favorite is the Domke F-802 messenger bag (AKA Reporter's Satchel). I can cram a ton of stuff into this bag and it fits under an airplane seat. I usually use a couple Domke inserts to hold lenses and 35mm camera. It looks totally unlike a camera bag (although someone may think there is a laptop computer in there).

20. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  21. msbarnes

msbarnes Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks! That sounds like a better idea for me. I never thought about padded inserts...

22. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Maybe it's a language issue... , but I never heard a bag scream.

(I checked at a dictionary, without avail. Maybe though its about `being´ a scream...)

23. BradS

BradS Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, you are correct. It is a language issue. Saying that a bag screams...is a figure of speech. The bag does not literally scream but, rather it is styled in such a way that it is as if it were screaming.
    The OP means roughly, "what bag do you carry your camera gear in when you what to not stand out as carrying a camera?" In other words, a bag that is not obviously a camera bag.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 5, 2011
  24. BCarterFoto

BCarterFoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have The One Bag by Undfind. Its a newer company so they are not super well known. I really like it because it is not bulky and perfect for carrying a few lenses, and a flash on you while you are shooting or just stepping out to wonder and take pictures. Also, you can take the photo insert out and it becomes a laptop bag. Best of all its more affordable and comes with covers to customize the look. It gets my vote.

Its similar to shootsac and lowepro messenger bags if you want more options.

25. jp498

jp498 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc...splay?langId=-1&storeId=10051&catalogId=10053

I had a small flashlight and a pen sized screwdriver in one of the outer side pockets, and the TSA people even thought I was carrying tools prior to them xraying it. Holds my speed graphic, light meter, an extra lens, and a bunch of film holders. If I go out with a few less film holders, I have room for gatorade too.

However, if you were looking for a bag to leave unlocked in a car, thieves will take tools far quicker than old camera equipment. In such case, other's advice about a cooler might be better for car storage.

26. daleeman

daleeman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I vote for the diaper bag with cute little bears on it wearing diapers. Never had anyone peeked in there, works when I am out with the grandkids.