Favorite E 6 Lab

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by Dave Wooten, Jul 27, 2005.

1. Dave Wooten

Dave Wooten Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Do you have a favorite lab you could recommend that will process 4 x 5 and 8 x 10 transparencies....

Thanks again you guys and gals

2. Bob Carnie

Bob Carnie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    Toronto- I would recommend only two labs for E6- Steichanlab and Colourgenics, both extremely competent.

3. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I used to use a local lab untill they screwed up my E100G three times in a row (the unexposed area in the rebate was red/magenta), I have switched to Calypso Imaging for all my E6.

4. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Yes, I also use Calypso. Their work is fast, the slides are clean, and their prices are hard to beat.

BTW, the owner of Calypso is an APUG member; not sure if he reads the forums or not though.

5. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I haven't done much E6 lately, only a few dozen rolls, but have used Merrill-David in Cleveland, OH and Iris Photographics in Asheville, NC within the last year. Merrill-David was recommended by a local pro commercial photog that I respect, and he says there's no other decent local lab. He's used Merrill-David for many years.

Iris did a dozen rolls of mine this last spring and came out spotless and very well done. A long time photo buddy of mine has used them for nearly 20 years, and of countless 120 and 35mm rolls they've done for him in that time, he reports having perhaps 6 frames that were somehow spoiled.

Both will do E-6 by mail.

Merrill David Inc
    (216) 391-0988
    3420 Prospect Ave E
    Cleveland, OH 44115

IRIS PHOTO/GRAPHICS
    110 Merrimon Avenue, Asheville, NC 28801
    Tel: 828.254.6103
    Hours: 9:00-6:00 Monday-Friday 10:00-4:00 Saturday

Lee

6. boyooso

boyooso Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I know this guy.... but don't really know him, but I know that he has a custom made processor that is proven to produce a better fixed, cleaner ending film and work with some amazing photographers (not that it makes any difference).

I did a quick search because I could'n't remember his name, so this is what I found on another forum.

I hope that helps!

7. gr82bart

gr82bart Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  8. Paul_Baker

Paul_Baker Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I get all my e6 done at www.chromfilmlab.com, here in Birmingham, AL. They do 4x5's and I'm sure they do 8x10's as well, I just don't have an 8x10 camera.

Paul B.

9. SkipA

SkipA Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I use the Converted Bedroom Processing Lab that is right down the hall from my own bedroom for 8x10, 4x5, 120, and 35mm E-6 processing. Soon I'll be sending my Super 8 format work there too, the new 64T EPY stock (7280). Actually, I send all but my C-41 and RA-4 processing there.

It's a nice little lab, directly across from my guest bathroom. Jobo expert drum processing in Kodak E6. It's inexpensive, and it generally produces good quality results. The proprietor knows me and gives me a good deal. He processes film on my schedule, and that is very handy.

I do occasionally get some odd and unexpected scratches in one corner of each film. It's the same corner every time. I've been meaning to talk to the proprietor about it. I think he needs to exercise greater care when inserting and removing the film from the drum.

10. MikeS

MikeS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
  11. Wayne

Wayne Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I havent processed any in 3-4 years, but I used to use Prolab in Seattle for 4x5. They were good, quick, and much less expensive that most. I used them for years (even after I moved away from Seattle) and never had a single problem, and will use them again if I ever shoot more LF E6.

12. ddolde

ddolde Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Photo Craft Imaging in Boulder, CO. 4x5 $1.30 per sheet. NO clips !

13. pelerin

pelerin Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi,
    Newlab in San Francisco seems first rate to me. The people are courteous and I've always gotten excellent results.
    Celac.

14. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    No clips?? Really, I need to look into this.