Favorite pinhole emulsions

Discussion in 'Pinhole Photography' started by 2F/2F, May 4, 2008.

1. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

Just curious what everyone likes to use in their pinholes.

I personally have an affinity for Arista APHS litho.

It's cheap, slow (helps prevent camera shake when opening shutter), and can get fine continuous tone in highly diluted Ilford/Kodak HC or LC-1 developer.

Best of all: it's cheap. 50 pieces 3.9x4.9 for $14 is good.

Also curious how many people use holders and how many just swap out each sheet in darkness.

2F/2F

2. Pinholemaster

Pinholemaster Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Fuji Provia 100F

3. Jim Noel

Jim Noel Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I use APH or APHS most of the time. Sometimes I use Fuji Acros, especially in the roll film cameras.
    As for sheet film, yes I use holders.All of my sheet film pinhole cameras are built to accept them.

4. Lynda

Lynda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    320txp

I have only tried sheet film once, 320 trixpan. i built little cans that hold one sheet, so the entire can goes into a darkbag, no holders.
    Lynda

5. DWThomas

DWThomas Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I guess my favorite is that odd leftover that's getting a little old! Using a 120 rollfilm device the last two years, the "favorite" for this latest WPPD was a roll of Portra 160 NC. Last year I used Ilford Delta 100, this year I also shot a roll of Fuji Acros 100. Between those two I would lean toward the Acros since it appears to have a kinder reciprocity failure spec.

DaveT

6. PhotoBob

PhotoBob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Film in a Pinhole Camera

Hmmm... I have been impressed with Acros 100, it seems to me to be a fabulous film in sheets and 120.
    I also use a variety for no particular reason than I have it and the cost is low or it was free, e.g., Orwo, Ilford, Kodak.
    Pan F can give incredible results as well.
    I do not care for C-41 films, so use Velvia/Provia in 120 and 4x5.
    If you have a look at one of my recent blog postings, you will note what I have found to be awesome developers for films.
    I'm beginning to get the impression that even with pinhole photography, there may be certain combinations of chemistry and films that really work well together.