Favorite Publication

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by bigdog, Apr 1, 2006.

1. bigdog

bigdog Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Does anyone subscribe to "Silvershotz" magazine and can you tell me ...is this the same publication as "The Black & White Enthusiast"?

If you had to choose just one of three publications, would you choose Silvershotz or B&W or Lenswork and why?

2. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Sorry bigdog, but I wouldn't choose any of them. My preference is for color landscape photography, B&W does absolutely nothing for me. At the moment, my favorite magazine is Outdoor Photography (published in the UK).

Also, I don't subscribe to Silvershotz.

3. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Even though Lenswork is not 100% film, the actual quality of the magazine, especially the pains taken to reproduce the images is readily apparent. So long as film based imagery continues to be well represented, I would have to say Lenswork. I have an issue of Silvershotz and it is nice. You should just subscribe to them all. :smile:

4. darr

darr Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I subscribe to View Camera, Silvershotz, B&W (UK), B&W (US) and LensWork. I love them all, but as far as print quality goes, I would have to say LensWork wins by a landslide. The others are fine publications for various reasons. I like View Camera for the technical and historical articles pertaining to large format; Silvershotz for its pure creativity, and both B&W mags for images and ads. The articles are OK too. I dropped Aperture and Camera Arts because they do not suit my particular tastes.

5. david b

david b Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I subscribe to none of them. The prices these days are ridiculous.

So I prefer to go to the local Borders and sit for an hour or two in the new "Seattle's Best" coffee shop and read the mags. Most of them are rubbish anyway.

6. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I subscribe to Silvershotz, LensWork & View Camera in printed publications as well as LargeFormat Journal ( a pdf pub). All are excellent publications with good image quality.

7. Dave Parker

Dave Parker Inactive

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I was quite surprised, I pick up a Shutterbug this month and there were actually two in depth reviews of a couple of great film cameras, The Voightlander Bessa R33A and the Zieiss Ikon Rangefinder 35, both pretty good reviews.

Dave

8. jnanian

jnanian Advertiser Advertiser

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    i used to subscribe to view camera, but let my subscription lapse.
    every now and again i pick up lenswork.
    i'll probably get a subscription once my tax refund is mailed to me :smile:

-john

9. QuillianSW

QuillianSW Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Fairly decent reviews - particuarly as S'Bug is a fairly mainstream (eg, advertiser oriented shill for the digital marketers) publication. I have a the Bessa R3A and am rather pleased with it. On the general topic of publications, I've found the Canadian magazine "Photolife" to be fairly pro-film. Most of their better photos are, of course, film. Generally Photolife expends more ink on the subject than the equipment.

10. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Keep in mind, both articles were written by one of APUGs newest members, Roger Hicks. IMO, we are lucky to have someone of such caliber on this forum.

11. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    There was a Japanese amateur photo magazine called "Natural Glow" until recently. It featured B&W photos mostly submitted by non professionals, and the quality of the paper was very glossy and nice.

But the more the content of the magazine got developed, the less of the space the amateur photos were featured and shared. And in the end, it disappeared from the scene.

That was the last magazine I subscribed.

12. QuillianSW

QuillianSW Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Indeed. Very well done reviews which, as a Bessa user, I found entertaining and informative.

13. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I do. Yes, it is.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. photobum

photobum Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Silvershotz is very nice, but Lenswork is still the best. I don't even mind sending in my subscription check.

16. eddym

eddym Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lenswork is my favorite; I also get Shutterbug, Camera Arts, American Photo, and B&W. For photography, Lenswork is the best, as far as I'm concerned.

--Eddy

17. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I subscribe to _Lenswork_ and _Aperture_. Both are high quality publications worth keeping, and their development from year to year is its own interesting narrative (or two interesting narratives, I suppose). The others I pick up occasionally.

18. Jim Chinn

Jim Chinn Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Lenswork and B&W Magazine (the American one) subscribe or get every issue, View Camera I pick up about half the issues from the newstand. The others are not consistent enough with stuff I am interested in to do any more then read at the bookstore or maybe get one issue a year.

I did pickup the latest issue of Blindspot as it has a sort or retrospective of many of the photographers it has featured over the years. I usually do not buy it, but this seemed like a good way to survey trends in contemporary photography.

I used to buy a lot more magazines. Instead I take the money I used to spend and buy few books of photography a year.

19. Gerald Koch

Gerald Koch Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    In the past I used to subscribe to and bought many photo magazines. However, the ones being published now are boring and the photos they print are mostly uninspired dreck. Sometimes, the british Black and White magazine has an article worth reading.

20. reellis67

reellis67 Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I get Lenswork right now and just subscribed to Emulsion, then there are many others that I get on a per-issue basis, depending on content. I used to subscribe to Outdoor Photographer but it became too heavily gear review oriented and since I don't buy new gear, it stopped being interesting. It was a fantastic magazine at one time, and may be again, but I haven't seen an issue for a while.

- Randy

21. jeffneedham

jeffneedham Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    my subscription to pdn just ended. it's about 60 bucks a year, which is a bit pricey for what i get out of it. i agree about photolife. check it out if you can - it's tough to find it sometimes.

it seems that magazines are more about ad space than content. yeah it costs a lot for publishing, etc... but give me a break. PDN is 7.99 an issue. for eight bucks, i want content, not ads.

22. Mike Kennedy

Mike Kennedy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Back issues of Photo Life. Once a wonderful Canadian publication.Now pixel based. Picked up a box of 50 old issues for $5.00 at a yard sale. Lots of my "New" gear is featured.

Mike

23. roteague

roteague Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I just purchased the May/June issue of Lenswork. I buy most issues, but leave the ones on the shelf that are full of digital snaps. I prefer to look at images of quality (film), not images steeped in mediocrity (digital snaps), for inspiration.

24. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I buy Lenswork, B&W Photography(the British one!), and the American B&W.
    Sometimes I buy Silvershotz if it's a good issue. The British B&W Photography magazine is one of my favourites! I have only 1 issue missing since it first started.

25. Nathan Smith

Nathan Smith Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Large Format Journal

If you don't mind having an Adobe PDF file, The Large Format Journal (www.thelargeformatjournal.com) is a good deal. Very interesting articles, and $4.95 an issue, or $35 for 2 years.
    I've enjoyed every issue so far.
    Nathan

26. Black Dog

Black Dog Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I read B&W (UK), View Camera and Ag. Occasionally I get lenswork when I'm in my nearest Borders (London............) and also Bill Bishop's Inscape. I was looking at some old photo mags (SLR Camera-remember that?) from the 80s and I'd definitely say that the amount of solid content in photo mags has declined since then (and I had a good chuckle at the fashions, hairstyles etc ROFLMAO). I have NO interest in the latest gizmos and I actually want to look at pictures and read about the whys of photography . Clearly a concept that many editors and publishers fail to grasp.But luckily there are some that do. As the great Morrissey put it " I just might die with a smile on my face after all.......". May the Force be with you!