Favorite type of MF camera?

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by Bromo33333, Oct 23, 2006.

1. Bromo33333

Bromo33333 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I find that for 35mm I love rangefinders, but for MF, an SLR is my cup of tea! (I keep going back to MF SLR's despite a brief stint with a rangefinder and a couple of TLR's I have laying around)

What say you guys? :smile:

2. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have a Bronica ETRS but I keep thinking that I should have a medium format rangefinder such as the Bronica RF645 or one of the Fuji GW690/670 range.

Steve.

3. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The RZ...what else is there?

4. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have SLR, TLR and a rangefinder. I use the SLR most of all. However, in the last week, I've printed about a dozen older negs for a group get together, and found that about half of them came from the little Fuji rangefinder. It was an interesting revelation.

5. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The RB. :wink:

6. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    How about the Mamiya 6/MF and Mamiya 7/7II? :wink:

Rich

7. Drew B.

Drew B. Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    the RB is great also...and if I wasn't getting an F3, I'd go for the M6 or 7 to bring with me everywhere I go.

8. pgomena

pgomena Member

I own a Fuji 6x9 rangefinder, a Rollei TLR, and a Hasselblad. Versatility of the Hasselblad blows the others away. I also just like the way it feels when I use it. I still use the other two: The rollei is a backup camera whenever I'm out with the Hasselblad, and the 6x9 is my "big gun" for some subjects, and also camera I take on occasional dayhikes when I only want to take one camera.

Peter Gomena

9. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    When she learned its age, my girlfriend asked me not if, but how crazy I was to pay what I paid for my Hassy 500CM. I replied that once in every man's life he should buy the best, and since I didn't have a Harley Davidson, the Hassy was a surrogate.

Guess who got that line back in his face when he DID buy a Harley???

10. Stew Squires

Stew Squires Member

I have acouple of Mamiya 645s and an RB. I also am getting my arms around a Mamiya 7II. The latter is certainly the most portable, and although I have an integral light meter with both the 645s and the RB, I like the way the 7II feels in the hands. The RF is pretty quick to focus.

My favorite combination however at the moment is 6x9 and 6x12 backs on my Toyo 45AX. Not sure that it still qualifies for MF in that configuration, but there it is.

Stew

11. DBP

DBP Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When the picture is really critical I reach for a TLR. The handling just seems more natural to me, but then I learned photography on one.

12. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The mamiya 6 is my favourite all-round camera by far. Not the most versatile, but what it does it does extremely well, and it's really about the same size/weight as my F100. I also have an RB. I love it but am finding less and less use for it now, frankly. The 6 beats it on mobility and my field and view cameras beat it on versatility. Nevertheless I think the rb is one amazing piece, I couldn't part with it.

13. Ian Leake

Ian Leake Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Definitely my Rolleiflexs. I have two: a T and a 2.8 GX and they're the most straightforward intuitive cameras for roll film.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Bronica ETRS for the more serious shooting, and a folder for the point-and-guess-and-shoot stuff.

16. Markok765

Markok765 Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Holga

17. matti

matti Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I like both my Iskra for snapshots of the kids and my Mamiya m645 for... well... snapshots of the kids!
    I don't like my Holga. I really don't.

/matti

18. André E.C.

André E.C. Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hasselblad V system, can`t get better than that in MF!

Cheers

André

19. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I prefer TLRs (Rolleicords in my case). It was the first MF camera I used and it felt right from the start. I have had and used an SLR (Mamiya RZ) and I found it nice but not my type. The Hasselblads are just some strange swedish idea. :wink:

20. naturephoto1

naturephoto1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yea Jerevan,

But aren't you from Sweden??? :confused: :surprised: :wink:

Rich

21. TimVermont

TimVermont Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rolleiflex 6001, 6003, 6008 family with Schneider lenses. Someday to be joined by the new Franke and Heidecke Hy6.

22. jovo

jovo Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I love my P67, and I use it more than any other camera I've ever owned. But I also have a Mamiya C220 that is lighter and more fun to carry for a long time (and on a lighter tripod). I must say, though, that i once borrowed a companion's Hassy and couldn't believe how light it was. I think if a body, back and three lenses hadn't been more than three times the price of the Pentax outfit which also included three lenses, I'd have chosen it at the time.

23. mitica100

mitica100 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

How can you NOT buy a Harley??

And yes, I own a HD and shoot a Hassy 500CM. I also like to use a Yashicamat and a compact folder, the Super Ikonta B.

24. Ranger Bob

Ranger Bob Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What's 35mm?

I have had and used, a Rolleiflex 2.8E2, a Mamiya RB67, a Holga, and my Hasselblad 500CM. Started MF with the RB, borrowed a 500CM for a workshop when I had a broken leg and couldn't tote the RB around. Sold the RB because the 500CM was just better. Much better. Bought the E2 to play with, nice camera, but I prefer the 500CM. Bought a Holga to play with, it melted in the truck at headquarters when it was 129 degrees outside. Haven't replaced it yet.

25. nc5p

nc5p Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I love my Mamiya 645 Super. It's light enough to take into the wilderness and quick enough to catch my daughter playing soccer. Got rid of all the 35mm gear after seeing the difference in image quality.

Doug

26. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have the mamiya 645 and 7II I absolutely love the 7II. Only thing that gets me to put it down is when I pull out my Littman. both fit on my old crappy tripod so the carbon fiber tripod stays at home along with most the time my LF gear. Between the littman which fits in a small fanny pack, and the 7II which is in a small backpack I can do medium and 4x5 with less weight than most other systems.