Favourite OM Lens

Discussion in '35mm Cameras and Accessories' started by thisispants, Aug 2, 2009.

1. thisispants

thisispants Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hi....Just wondering what your favourite OM lens is? Ive got a telephoto lens which to be honest I just dont use. Ive olso got a 28mm wide angle and the standard 50 something lens you get with it. I like the wide angle but more often than not I just use the 50 something lens. What do people use telephoto lenses for? Wildlife/sport....is that it?

Ideally I'd like something like a 40 - 90 lens....do they exist?

2. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi pants - my favorite is a Zuiko 80mm f4 macro that was made to fit the auto bellows. I can get 4:1 and I love it. Getting ready to go use it again in a few minutes. I am obsessed with that 1/2" DOF. CHEERS.

3. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Zuiko lenses are excelent glass. I have a 100mm f/2.8 that I use for portraits. Sometimes I carry a 135mm f/3.5 for medium range on the street. I like my Auto-Macro 50mm f/3.5. I have a 200mm that I use for portraits and wildlife. The 50mm f/1.4 ande the 28mm f/3.5 are standard. Other times I carry a 35-105mm zoom with 'Close Focus' for contingencies.

4. VaryaV

VaryaV Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gosh - this is what happens when you have stuff in cupboards you haven't used in a year and then forget you have it. Thanks for reminding me, now I have an excuse to go run off to the woods... ha ha. This is one of the coolest toys I have: a Vivitar 70-210mm f2.8 macro zoom. This baby is sweet.

I promise to stop now....... :smile:)

5. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have two favourite children :smile:.

Some days it is the Zuiko 85mm f/2.0. Other days it is the Zuiko 35mm f/2.0.

Probably it is the 35mm f/2.0, but it is close.

Matt

6. bpaties

bpaties Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Zooms just don't seem to work with the OM ... I am trying to bet back into carrying a camera every day, and of late I have been grabbing my OM2n with a 35mm f2.8 ... light, no fuss and will never let you down ... if I has to be a zoom (usually when travelling) I go with the 35-80mm Tamron SP - not zuiko, but I like it ...

7. Vincent Brady

Vincent Brady Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Because I use my OM4Ti with HIE film my favourite lens has to be the 24 mm lens, I set it for the hyperfocal distance and just shoot away, I should add that I select f16 and let the spot meter do the rest for me.

Cheers
    TEX

8. wiltw

wiltw Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    24mm f/3.5 PC !

9. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    two way tie between the Zuiko 28 f3.5 and the 50 f1.4.

10. chriscrawfordphoto

chriscrawfordphoto Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I use my 50/1.4 (the last version, serial over 1,100,000) the most and it is incredibly sharp. My favorite zuiko is probably the 40mm f2 pancake.

11. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Over the past few years, I've owned most of the Zuiko glass that folks of normal means can afford. These range from the 16mm to the 400mm. My favorite is the 85mm f2. Others would include the 21mm f2, either of the 50mm macro or 50mm normals for that matter. I usually have a set of extension tubes in my kit. Non Zuiko favorites would include several of the Tamron SP line, including the 90mm f2.5, the 180mm f2.5, 300mm f2.8 and the 400mm f4. Bill Barber

12. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening,

100mm F2--sharpest of the lot, I think.

Konical

13. John Hermanson

John Hermanson Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    My vote goes for 50mm f2 Macro. John

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. oscroft

oscroft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Oh, now that's tough.

Depending on when you asked me, I might choose the 85/2, the 35/2.8, the 50/1.4, or even the 28-48/4.

Today I've been scanning some 50/1.4 shots (ERA 100 developed in Rodinal 1:50 - a lovely combination), so that's high in my favours right now.

Best,
    Alan

16. Ken N

Ken N Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My "death grip" Zuikos would be the 35/2.8 and 100/2.8. Both are extremely well-rounded.

But the 35-80/2.8, which is rather, uh, pricey, has got to be one of the finest lenses Olympus has ever made and lives on one of the OM bodies most of the time. It's larger and heavier than the F2.8 Zuiko primes, but is distinctly usable and downright beautiful in 3D'ish renditions. It is such a sharp and contrasty lens that the focus "snaps" into place.

But at the end of my life, I'll probably still have the 35/2.8 and 100/2.8. (silvernosed, of course).

17. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    That would be my choice as well.
    the f/3.5 50 mm would be included as a third.

18. slumry

slumry Subscriber

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    24/2.8 is a very fine lens. There was a 24 mm lens shoot-out somewhere and this lens came in second...behind a Canon zoom lens.

19. Tjibs

Tjibs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have had a 50/1.4 for a while now, but yet to use it, as I've been very content with the 50/1.8 "made in japan" lens.

20. Pumal

Pumal Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The F.Zuiko Auto-S 50/1.8 is an excelent lens.

21. sangetsu

sangetsu Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Another vote for the 24mm 2.8. Here in Tokyo it is just the right lens for cityscapes and such.

I took this one using a 24mm 2.8 with my OM4Ti

[​IMG]

22. nsurit

nsurit Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Guess it really does depend on your shooting style. I really like the 24mm f2.8 and might like the 2 if I had it. For my shooting style the 85mm f2 can't be beat. I like to photograph people & get in close and this one does it for me. With a little extension slipped between it and the body, it also does nicely for real close-ups. I think the bottom line is there isn't much Zuiko prime glass that is very doggy. Bill Barber

23. cmo

cmo Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    That is also my favourite, a stellar lens, even compared to the 3.5/50 Macro and the 3.5/38 bellows lens. The 80mm had been recommended to me when I asked in this forum "which is the best lens ever made for macro photography around 1:1 size?"

24. Vincent Brady

Vincent Brady Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I have this lens myself but must confess that I can't recall when last I used it. I bought during my slide copying days and used it with the auto-bellows. I shoot only B&W nowadays and have yet to develop an interest in the world of macro photography.

Cheers
    TEX

25. Allan Swindles

Allan Swindles Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Shame on you TEX, this is really a superb lens and you should use it. You will be amazed at the results. I've been out bug hunting today and used it in combination with the variable auto tube and T28 twin macro flash unit, at 1:1 the image quality is astounding. I also use the Zuiko 135mm bellows macro which, when used in combination with the auto-tube covers 1:3 to infinity. Both quite outstanding lenses.

26. Chris Sweetman

Chris Sweetman Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Ones favourite lens depends on what subject you are photographing!

My most used lens is a Zuiko 28mm f2.8 closely followed by the 50mm f3.5 macro. Today I used my 21mm f3.5 because I wanted to take some record shots of our home and the macro to take photos of a couple of model cars. The 21mm was perfect, whereas a 28mm would not be wide enough, and as the model cars measured 4" and 3" the macro lens was again the right choice here.

Cheers Chris