February Angels and Insects exhibition in Victoria, B.C.

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews, Shows & Contests' started by Bosaiya, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I am pleased to announce that selections from my ongoing Angels and Insects collection of large format, lith-printed macro photographs will be shown at the Victoria Arts Connection in British Columbia during the month of February. This will be my largest showing so far with fifty photos being displayed across two floors. I was told that I was the first non-Canadian to be given a solo showing at this beautiful gallery.

The opening reception is to be held on Saturday, February 2nd and I will be in attendance. I hope you can make it.

For more info: www.victoriaartsconnection.com

Regards,

Bosaiya

the Angels and Insects Collection

2. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Lovely work Bosaiya, I wish I could be there to see it.
    Congratulations.
    Tim

3. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Thanks, Tim! I'm working on some shows closer to your neck of the woods. I'll definately keep you posted.

-B

4. MurrayMinchin

MurrayMinchin Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Rats! I may live in BC, but being 1000 miles from Vancouver by road and a ferry ride from there to Victoria, as well as having no time off work, means I can't make it :sad:

I've been a real fan of your work from the first time I discovered it, and yours is one show I'd love to see. I'll post a link to this thread in the Vancouver section of the "APUG Regional Focus Groups" forum, and maybe the news will spread faster.

Good luck and have fun with it :smile:

Murray

5. catem

catem Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Assuming that's vaguely near my neck of the woods too, please do post details when available - I've admired your work via links posted here, and would like very much to see your work 'in person'.

6. tim rudman

tim rudman Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Please do. I'll look forward to it
    Tim

7. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow , I can't believe it! I live here so I'm going to get that day off of work to come!!! I know one of the people that help run the Victoria Arts Connection, Heidi Bergstrom and she's great! She used to belong the darkroom cooperative that I help run. This is very exciting. I'm a big fan of your work.

8. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Murray, thanks for the comments. I certainly understand, time and money (not to mention distance) are two of my biggest enemies as well!

-B

9. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I have some things in the works for France, which is certainly closer to you folks than me. Last time I tried driving there from here I didn't get very far.

10. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    That's excellent, Kate! Heidi is the one who has been helping me and I certainly look forward to finally meeting her in person.

11. Curt

Curt Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Very exciting, by the way I was born in the city next to Sumner, Puyallup. A long time ago in a far away time. It looked very different just after the big war. Fine work, good luck with the exhibit.

Curt

12. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've loved your work since I saw your profile in Silvershotz. You answered my emails very nicely a while back, I'd love to meet you or at least see your work in person! I'll do my best to make it down island, even if a print is still out of the budget due to saving for wet-plate stuff.

- Justin

13. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Justin, I remember. It would be great if you could make it! Too bad Quinn had to stop selling his collodion kits.

14. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    What a small world! Puyallup is still there, although the fair is getting ridiculously large.

15. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just an idea. Any Apuggers that are attending the opening wear a small sticker with your apug name on it so we can say hello to each other. I have invited a fair number of people that I know would like to see this work but have not been exposed to it before.

Good luck on the opening and we'll say hello in person.

16. Nicole

Nicole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Bosaiya, congratulations. How did the opening go? Wish I could see your exhibition.

17. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I attended the opening and although I emailed practically everyone I knew there could have been a few more people. Maybe because it was on a Saturday night. I don't know. I personally thought the opening was great! Meeting Bosaiya and his lovely family was such a treat. He was a delight to talk to and very modest. All my friends loved his work and enjoyed talking and meeting him. Both his parents were so gracious and took the time to thank everyone for coming and managed to talk to just about everyone on a individual basis. They are so proud of their son and it shows. I felt very lucky to have been there. I took a couple of snapshots and as soon as they are developed I will post them in this thread. I will do my best to spread the word in my hometown to get as many people to come and see the show. Victoria is lucky to have this show!!

18. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format

It went pretty well, thanks for asking. The people there were very nice.

Do you know the contact info for any galleries in Australia? Let me know and I'll send them a package. Who knows, maybe you'll get your chance!

-B

19. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Hi Kate, thanks so much for enduring the freezing weather! It was very nice meeting you.

Sure, there could have been more people, but I think that what was lacking in quantity was more than made up for in quality. I've had shoulder-to-shoulder openings that were just ghastly. Personally I'd much rather be able to take the time to talk to everyone individually. I'm sure as you noticed people don't normally take one single pass and then leave, they like to look around, talk about a certain aspect, go back to rethink things, talk again; rinse, lather and repeat.

It's taken a while to win my parents over, but thanks to people like you they are much more accepting and proud these days!

20. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You are very welcome, Bosaiya! You are right about less people being there made it more enjoyable to really look at the work, digest it, and really appreciate the subtleties. I just didn't look at it that way but thanks for pointing that out. More people doesn't always equal better. I have lots of other friends that missed the opening but will be coming to see the show. The hours there are very flexible too, I think it's open Monday-Thursday until 8:00 p.m. and then Friday until 6:00 p.m.
    Do you have to come back when the show is over to collect what hasn't sold?

21. Bosaiya

Bosaiya Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    It's real nice that the gallery gets traffic throughout the week and month. With many it's opening night only.

Typically I'd arrange to have them all shipped back. With any luck all of the friends you have going to see the show will alleviate that problem!

22. BWKate

BWKate Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I will do my best to solve that.