Feel sorry for me

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by severian, Dec 15, 2005.

1. severian

severian Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Everyone,
    Feel sorry for me. The semester is over. Grades are in. Desk is clear. Now for a solid month I have nothing to do except shoot and print. Feel sorry because its not the summer. I get 3 months to do it in the summer. IT'S ALL GOOD!!!
    Jack

2. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Slacker!!

Michael

3. rbarker

rbarker Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Screeeech, skretch. Screeeech, skretch.

Sorry, that noise from my thumbnail Victrola was supposed to be "Hearts and Flowers". :wink:

4. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I do feel sorry for you. I have a hubby that makes a very good wage, I don't work, and I have 12 months in which to shoot and do what I like.

5. severian

severian Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    trumped

Trumped by Aggie, Damn

6. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When you do have spare time, and want a fun place to go, come this direction, and I will take you around some fabulous country. I'm 20 minutes from Zion National Park.

7. haris

haris Guest

Someone once said best way to hate your hobby is to turn it into a job. So, I work something else to get money for photography, and thus don't have time I would like, to use for photography...

8. bohica

bohica Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Harris, that's true, immediately after photog school I turned Pro, after 6 months if I'd had to shoot another Ad photo or screaming brat I would have exploded. No time for MY photography. Now I drive a truck and very happily click away.

9. blansky

blansky Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Many years ago I turned my hobby into my job and love it.

Different strokes......

Michael

10. mgb74

mgb74 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Please let us know when you have finals next semester. We're all going to send you an email then. :smile:

11. Claire Senft

Claire Senft Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Boo Hoo.

12. firecracker

firecracker Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I've been in the process!

13. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And here I am, retired from Eastman Kodak and trying to make film and paper in my darkroom. For 30 years, my hobby was my profession and I hated coming home at night and spending time in the darkroom after spending a good portion of the day in one, but I loved taking pictures outdoors.

At one time, I got all the free film I wanted. Sometimes I even coated my own film and paper for work, and had some left to test at home.

Now, here I am mainly in the darkroom trying to make and coat emulsions and I rarely have time to process and print pictures. How is that for a life?

Some would call me crazy.

Anyhow, like Aggie, we live near some beautiful scenery with 500 ft deep gorges and waterfalls everywhere. I love to go out and hike and shoot. My cameras are pretty dinged up from slips, slides and falls. But if anyone is up this way, I can show them those places, or if you would rather see how I coat my films and papers, well you can see that too. I've had takers for all of the above.

PE

14. Aggie

Aggie Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you don't mind little loving fluff balls (cats), I have a spare bedroom waiting anytime you venture this way. Just close your eyes while I drive you to some of my favorite places. Not to hide the route, but I know I scared the sh*t out of a few people the routes I take.

15. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Aggie, my wife and I love cats!

However, with a choice of getting the workshop ready and travel, I guess I will have to go with the former rather than the latter. And the out of doors here is pretty ugly right now. Its about 20F (~ -5 C) with ice and snow everywhere and lots of gloomy clouds.

In fact, I'm having trouble today being inspired as to the latest experiment to do in the darkroom. I've had some great results with metal doping and contrast control, but I still want to get more. You know the old story. So, here I am with all the time I need, but no inspiration. It must be the weather.

PE

16. glbeas

glbeas Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    PE, remember that announcement a while back about formate doping? Supposed to be something best for B&W film. Ever hear anything more about it? Would it have a place in homebrewed emulsions?

Hope you get your inspiration, I know what thats like, haven't shot or done any darkroom work in months.

17. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Gary, I've read that article and talked to two of the people who worked on the EK 2 electron sensitization project. I'm giving it some thought.

Considering the cost of some of the chemicals involved, I guess it may be impractical, but I am reserving judgement on this until I get further along in my own work.

I did some metal and ionic doping experiments tonight. Easy to do for the average photographer, just like adding benzotriazole to a developer to decrease fog. I'll see what this batch does at 4x metal and 2x ionic dopant. At 1x metal and 2x ionic, I got 1 contrast grade and about 2 stops in speed. This time I think I'm over the hill. I'll probably lose speed.

I also added a development accelerator to the melt to see if I could increase the contrast. A friend suggested that to me. So, there it is, you are all up to date and can take pity on me.

Just like Davros, always asking the Doctor to take pity on him.

Regards.

PE

18. Bill Mitchell

Bill Mitchell Member

Photo Engineer, where is "Up this way?"

19. Quinten

Quinten Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I feel sorry mate, with a bit of luck my semesters for the next four years are all about photography, studios already availeble for free with all the lights, lenses and cameras you can wish for. B&W / colour darkrooms you can walk in without touching a door and the chemicals are always ready to go. Okay okay Aggie is still on another level....

20. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Rochester NY. Right where I retired.

PE

21. Photo Engineer

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    And working at EK in a lab 8 hours / day 5 days a week was a job. Even if the lab was a $1M lab with anything you wanted or needed. Still a job.

I wish you could all have had the experience of making your own film and papper.

Fun!

PE