Ferrania to make film in 2014?

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by f/16, Sep 24, 2013.

1. f/16

f/16 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I read something about this, but is it likely? Anyone know more?

2. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  3. pbromaghin

pbromaghin Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Speaking of Ferrania, I signed up on their website for the email updates back in July, but haven't received any. Has anybody else?

4. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I recollect receiving an acknowledgement and there is a bit more recent posting on their Facebook page. But I guess there is nothing really to report at this stage, as the first films aren't expected to surface until the first quarter of next year. I hope it happens but I shall believe it when I see it - it all sounds a bit too good to be true. But I guess I've been put off by a certain amount of disappointment with Adox. The promised 110 film never emerged and it took the Lomograph people and, it appears, a factory in China, to pick up the ball and actually produce a clutch of 110 films. And followed by someone else with a strange name who now seem to have semi-disappeared. And that's not to forget the promised Adox 400 ISO film but I accept that competition and the closure of Efke forced a change of priorities. I also acknowledge that they have now introduced the new 100 ISO B & W film in sheet film (so far), which I'm sure is very welcome to those who use it.

It might be too that the person behind Ferrania has bigger financial resources than Adox. But it does put in perspective the activities of Lomography, and dare one say it, Lupus Imaging. Despite the many criticisms on this forum of their activities, both these outfits have actually been responsible for bringing onto the market some new emulsions, albeit they don't actually do the manufacturing themselves, but there's nothing wrong with that imho.

5. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which new emulsions brought Lupus Imaging to the market??
    First they sold films produced by Agfa/AgfaPhoto then films by Ferrania and Fuji.
    Now most probably added by Harman (I assume those latest two AgfaPhoto films not to be significantly new emulsion, which has to proofed though.)

6. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I think the evidence leans to the new APX films being new emulsions albeit they are probably fairly close cousins to the Rollei RPX films, the Kentmere films and maybe Ilford Pan 100 & Pan 400 (sold only in certain markets). Simon Galley of Harman has said in several threads here that they don't relabel existing Ilford or Kentmers films for others, and I would accept that statement at face value. One advantage of the Lupus offerings is that, at least in the UK, they seem to be more readily available than the Rollei films, and in some places fractionally cheaper than the Kentmere films. Anyway, at the end of the day does it really matter? It's an additional choice and available at a reasonable price and personally I don't object to that!

7. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    We need new Color Film

Go Ferrania, Go

Woo Hoo

8. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    +1. +2 for a new E-6 film.