ferric (III) oxalate testing

Discussion in 'Alternative Processes' started by George Papantoniou, Mar 28, 2007.

1. George Papantoniou

George Papantoniou Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    In order to test whether the ferric oxalate is still good I have I found (in this book) there is a thing I could do: I dissolved three drops of it in 20ml of water, then added a solution (10%) of pottasium ferricyanate. If it became blue, that would mean that it was worthless.

The solution of ferric oxalate was yellow (like urine :surprised: ). The potassium ferricyanate solution was also yellow. When I added the one in the other, it stayed yellow. Does this mean that my ferric oxalate is still good ?

2. kevs

kevs Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Hi George,

The potassium ferricyanate solution was also yellow.

You need potassium ferricyanide.

Cheers,
    kevs

3. George Papantoniou

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Oh, s***... to tell you the truth, I am not really sure what it was... -ate or -ide... I'll have to check... is the one I really need (ferricyanide) NOT yellow ?
    The colour of the powder I used was red, the solution made out of it quite yellow.

In high school, I was a good student... but the worst grades I ever got were in chemistry... I guess this is my punishment...

4. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sounds like Potassium Ferricyanide.
    From Dick Stevens book

5. George Papantoniou

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Doug, in the book I found it in the procedure of testing was described the other way round... so I added a little Ferricyanide solution in a weak solution of Ferric Oxalate (some water with three drops of Oxalate).

I'll do it the way you describe and see what happens...

6. George Papantoniou

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Well, I did what Doug suggested and guess what... a blue precipitate formed... now I have either to order new Ferric Oxalate (from Germany) or add Oxalic acid in mine. What do you think is best ? I can find Oxalic Acid easily here in Greece. Will the result be as good as if I used freshly made Ferric (III) Oxalate ? How much Oxalic Acid should I add ?

Thanks for your help, lads...

7. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since oxalic acid is used in most of the methods for making Ferric Oxalate, don't see any disadvantage from adding it to existing solution. From Dick Stevens book on Kallitypes

8. George Papantoniou

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    WOW!!! Thank you Doug... can you tell me if I can find your terrific book you mention (where you have found all this interesting info) ?

Now I only have to find out how to measure 0.125 g of a chemical... :confused:

9. doughowk

doughowk Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    0.125 gram does seem overly precise, but that's the nature of Dick Stevens book - Making Kallitypes: A Definitive Guide published by Focal Press, 1993. Its out of print & I picked up my copy thru a BookFinder search (mine is apparently an extra copy that Phil Davis had).