few bottles of PETG

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by Dietmar Wolf, Apr 30, 2007.

1. Dietmar Wolf

Dietmar Wolf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello.

I got a few bottles, made of PETG ( Polyethylenterephthalat). This is another form of PET. The bottles are new and lightweight.

Does anybody know if I could use these for diluted fixer, stop or positivdeveloper? Are they safe, also with the diluted stop bath?

Or should I use them elsewhere? Thank you.

2. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've not seen an acronym PETG but PETE is common in the US and PET in the most other parts of the world.

PET bottles are very suitable for all common photographic solutions. Watch out for the fit of the cap. Good quality cap should be used. Good ones have soft teflon lining to ensure good seal.

3. Dietmar Wolf

Dietmar Wolf Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks. You are right. PETE.

Caps are very good. Not too small. Thats exactly why I want to use it.

I just didnt know whether the fixer or the stop bath may be too aggressive for storing (make holes?).

Maybe these are already diluted enough and its safe.

4. Ryuji

Ryuji Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The biggest weakness of PET is heat. It can't take high temp. If you mix water and NaOH in a PET bottle, it can melt and make a hole. But as long as hot filling is avoided, PET is good for darkroom chemicals.

Incidentally, recycled PET is hard to sterilize without going through troubles. This is why the reuse and recycle rates of PET have been lower than other plastics.