Fidel, 1964 black & whites

Discussion in 'Photographers' started by bruce terry, Feb 24, 2008.

1. bruce terry

bruce terry Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    New York Times, "3 Days With Fidel" A Fascinating slide show well worth watching: Castro on tour in the Cuban Boonies, photographs narrated by the photographer, Richard Eder. One of the opening images shows him loading, maybe, a Nikon F or SP?

2. Konical

Konical Subscriber

Good Evening,

Check out the 1959 issue of Photography Annual published by Popular Photography. It contains several 1957 photos by Andrew St. George of the Cuban revolutionaries before they took control of the island. Tellingly perhaps, considering the subsequent course of events, the first photo (p. 15) depicts an execution. The accompanying notes indicate that St. George used a Plaubel Makina III for that shot, although the other photos in the series were shot with a Nikon SP. He also used Perutz Peromnia film. (I knew I'd have some use for that old photo annual if I just kept it around long enough!)

Konical

3. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Isn't there also a photo showing Che using a S2 or SP?

4. bwphoto

bwphoto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Yes, copake - check out photographer Roberto Salas' site or my friend, Jack Kenny who photographed in Havana in the 90's and up to a few years ago, pub. a book, 'Cuba' http://www.jkennyphoto.com/ Note: Jack has a portrait by Salas of Che using a Nikon hanging in exhibit now, also many vintage prints by Salas for sale.

5. Colin Corneau

Colin Corneau Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I picked up some postcards of Che hoisting a few different old cameras during a recent vacation there. I'm not well versed enough in retro gear to be able to tell what they are.

Che and Fidel were apparently very media-savvy in those heady early days; I recall reading a few paragraphs from one of the many books for sale there about "The Motorcycle Diaries" that Che was quite an expert poser.

6. pauliej

pauliej Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wonder if Raul is searching thru his scrapbooks for some interesting candids from his earlier days. Just a random thought...

paulie