Field camera that takes Sinar boards

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by 2F/2F, Dec 12, 2008.

1. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hello,

I can swear I remember reading about a modern folding field camera line that takes Sinar boards. However, in doing some research for a friend, I looked at the details of Shen-Hao, Tachihara, Chamonix, Ebony, etc., and saw that they all take Linhof boards.

Am I nuts, or does this field camera that takes Sinar boards actually exist?

For those who shoot with one of the cameras I mentioned above and with a Sinar, how do you do it? Do you put every lens on a Linhof board, and use a Linhof to Sinar adapter board when you use the monorail?

Thank you in advance.

2. Nick Zentena

Nick Zentena Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The bigger Shen Hao do [5x7 and bigger] or at least they did.

Almost all my lenses are on Linhof boards. My cameras have Sinar to Linhof adapter boards installed. The one lens too big to easily mount on a Linhof board is on a Sinar lensboard. To use that I remover the adapter and mount the Sinar board. I'd do the same thing to use the Sinar type recessed board I bought. Linhof recessed sizes are too tiny for me.

3. wildbill

wildbill Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The ebony 8x10 takes sinar boards, I sold some to an ebony shooter.

4. jmcd

jmcd Member

My Canham JMC takes Sinar lensboards—I use them, one per lens. It is a pretty big board!

5. Lee L

Lee L Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The Phillips cameras I've seen take Sinar boards, but I haven't seen anything smaller than their 8x10.

I use a Horseman monorail that takes the same board as Sinar, and use a Technika to Sinar/Horseman adapter board so I can use the same lenses on a 4x5 Wista and the Horseman without remounting.

Lee

6. Trevor Crone

Trevor Crone Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My Ebony 8x10 takes Sinar and Linhof boards. My 4x5 Ebony only takes the Linhof size.

The Walker 8x10 Titan XL takes Sinar boards.

7. BradS

BradS Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    The big Ebony, Canham, Shen and Tachiharas all use "Sinar-sized" boards.

8. jp80874

jp80874 Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    It might help. You just missed it by a day and $5100.00, eBay Item number: 300278585602. A Phillips Concept II 8x10 field camera takes Sinar boards, so does my 1993 Phillips Advantage series 8x10 and Explorer 7x17. What format are you looking for?

I have a Nikkor 450mm M that works on 4x5, 8x10 and 7x17. It sits on a Technika board for the Technikardan and that board goes into a Sinar adapter for the 8x10 or the 7x17.

On the other hand a recent Phillips 8x10 Explorer would take a Technika board. Who is on First?

John Powers

9. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for the replies. I must have seen the Sinar board spec. when I was looking at the larger-sized Asian cameras; not the 4x5s. My friend wants a 4x5, so looks like he will have to get the Linhof to Sinar adapter board as a solution. Not too bad of a solution, except for minor hassle of having to ditch all the Sinar boards and get Linhof ones instead. Wish Sinar proper made a field camera.

For myself, the 4x5 Tachihara would be a great camera. I do wish that they had a Graflok back, however.

Thank you for all the replies.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 12, 2008
  10. Steve Hamley

Steve Hamley Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Why not consider a Norma? While not a folder, or a field camera per se, it's certainly a "fieldable" camera that many people hike with. Solid, full movements, and not too heavy.

Cheers,

Steve

11. Ole

Ole Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Shooter:
    Large Format
    The Gandolfi Traditional 10x8" takes either Gandolfi or Sinar boards.

Mine takes Sinar boards, but I'm thinking of swapping the front for a Gandolfi-board one. :wink: