Field test of the New MACO IR 820c

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by WRSchmalfuss, Feb 7, 2007.

1. WRSchmalfuss

WRSchmalfuss Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Mr. Hartmuth Schroeder, CEO of MACO, was yesterday in the manufacturing plant, which is concerned with the project "RE-START of the MACO IR 820c!" The good message is: The PROTOTYPE, poured on 0.1 P.E.T. base is ready! The presently available quantity is, however, too small, that 45mm or 60mm films can be cut, unfortunately only the sheet film format 4x5" (10.2x12.7cm).

This sheet film, has due to its comparatively thin film base, the characteristics NOT to lie in optimal FLAT position. The PHOTO-CHEMICAL PARAMETERS respond to the fact, what is presently possible for an mass production. Thus, will not be changing later on! The emulsion exhibits scarcely 100 ISO, WITHOUT FILTER. However, that corresponds to the predecessor, who had, depending upon pouring, about 80 ISO.

The Nanometer range of the PROTOTYPE, begins with 300nm, evenly up to 680nm, bends then with 720nm, and impacts with 825nm.

The log sensitivity ranges between 300nm, up to 690nm at 3.25,
    with 725nm at 2.5
    with 750nm at 1.5
    at 800nm approx. at 0.75

This values differs not substantially from the old MACO IR 820c.
    The results based on lab tests, are success-promising! The quality of the P.E.T. film base, with its coating quality, with the constant production, the anti-Newton-back-coating, are parameters, which we could not even dream about it in former times. In addition to it, comes the supply security.

To the time frame: If the field test phase offered down below, is copleted positively, we may say in the middle of March 2007, than after the film pouring in May, the conversion of films in JUNE 2007, then the distribution of the finished manufactured films.

Still in time, to the European IR season.

The prices for the RE-START film, will thus, actually be clearly UNDER those of the old film. The new film has the task, to open new groups of buyers of the B&W IR photography, to be interesting also for the photographers for whom the past IR films were too expensive.

MACO, will be within 2 weeks, have cut the sheet film samples, and have them packed. MACO will provide this sheet film, for an field test to interested photographers at their disposal, asl ong this supply is sufficient. Who is interested in a test of the PROTOTYPE as SHEET FILM 4x5", please E-mail to: photo@mahn.net.

The transmittal of the samples are effected free of charge, and free of postage, and with any obligations - however - connected with the request, that the RESULTS should be returned with a short description of processing back to MACO. Who sees itself in a short term position, please may announce himself.

With kind regards

2. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thank you for this welcome announcement and an oppertunity to try out the new film.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 7, 2007
  3. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    What is up with some people here? I've recently read a number of threads where information from or about manufacturers, distributors, dealers...has been reacted to in a hostile fashion. What possible good does it do to tell all of us that someone has made your ignore list? I've used a fair amount of MACO infrared film in the past. I like it, and I hope that it'll be available again. I appreciate information regarding this, and I bet others do as well. If you don't like a thread, why not read/do something else instead of engaging in negative behavior? Our moderators have proved themselves adept at handling inappropriate posts.

4. jd callow

jd callow Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Peter it boggles the mind and I don't think it should be tolerated.

<edit> I sent my email... I'd love to try it!

5. Roger Hicks

Roger Hicks Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Dear Peter,

I like Maco film, too. The latest I've tried the new 400CN Scanfilm. The only problem is that Maco's claims are sometimes a little over-enthusastic and on occasion downright misleading (e.g. confusing ISO and EI), and availability tends to be sporadic. Some people get pissed off at this. For example, Scanfilm is no more suitable for printing on B+W than any other colour film, except for shorter exposure times (no orange mask), and the absence of the mask really makes no difference to scanning either. Having said this, Scanfilm is the nearest you can get to the gloriously soft, grainy E6 films of old (except that it's neg, of course); the old 820c was a superb IR film; and Cube 400 was one of the best general-purpose ISO 400 films on the market. If I couldn't get HP5+ I'd have switched to Cube -- except that I'm not sure it's still available...

Cheers,

R.

6. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Roger,

I appreciate your thoughts on the matter, and I agree with you in general.

To be fair, though, I regularly find claims made by manufacturers/users/whoever to not come close to matching the results that I get. For example, I tested a number of developers purported to give Tech Pan an EI greater than 50 with normal contrast. I never got a true EI over 16.

I do understand people's frustration when things don't work out, but all too often people with axes to grind respond in a negative way to any post about a particular product or company. Take any business or product, someone, somewhere will be unhappy with it. Should they talk about their results? Absolutely, if they can do so in a reasonable way. But attempting to sabotage every announcement helps no one, especially given that dearth of good news that we have in the film community.

7. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've used MACO's IR "Aura" film in medium format and really liked the look of it with the Hoya infrared filter. It was several years ago. I still have a few rolls of left over in the freezer. I wonder if it's still good? I'll have to try it out.

8. Cor

Cor Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Lee,

Not sure if this helps, but I had a few rolls of the absolute first run of MACO820c, on 35 mm format (guess that was about 6 years ago, have to look it up), but these rolls completely lost their IR characteristics last year. When they were fresh they gave realy nice IR effects.

That said: last weekend I shot the last sheets of one of the first batches of MACO820C on 4*5 format, and the results were perfect.

So I guess you just have to try, but my bet is that they are still ok,

Best,

Cor

9. Peter De Smidt

Peter De Smidt Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hi Cor,

Thanks for the info. I too have a few rolls in the freezer, and I'll have to give them a try when the weather warms up a bit. Burr, it's cold!

10. Lee Shively

Lee Shively Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yes, Cor, thanks. I was thinking of testing this film come springtime when there's a better chance of foilage showing the infrared effects.

11. Jonathan Brewer

Jonathan Brewer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ........' MACO met co-operation with the strategic partner AGFA GEVAERT in Belgium/France the decision to pour a new ISO 100 infrared film with 850 Nanometers. This film is already in the testing practice, and will be introduced to the market in the course of the year 2007.'...................

Forgive me if I'm confusing this, the above was mentioned on a previous thread, an IR film going out to 850NM, is this the same film being discussed here or a different film, is it 820 or 850? Are we talking about two different films or a typo?

12. WRSchmalfuss

WRSchmalfuss Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    If you still want to participate in the 4x5" field film test, of the new MACO 820c film, free of charge, please send your mailing address ASAP to photo@mahn.net in Germany! The distribution starts next week!

Regards

13. timeUnit

timeUnit Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm looking forward to trying the film, too bad it's in the middle of the winter... Almost no IR... Hopefully I'll get some clear skies in the near future.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I wasn't clear if the thread is saying that MF and /or 35mm IR film will be available later this year, say June/July or if production will be confined to 4x5 sheet film only and that there is no intention of producing either MF or 35mm.

Any clarification would be appreciated. Thanks

pentaxuser

16. Fotohuis

Fotohuis Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    This must be the new (Maco) I.R.-film based on APX100 with extended IR sensitivity 820nm till 850nm but it just depends how you put the spec on.
    With a RG695nm or RG715nm filter this film will be around E.I. 3-6. I am sure this film will be produced by Gevaert in Belgium. The previous Maco IR820C was an Efke 100 extended sensitized emulsion.

I am sure Maco will bring this I.R. film in 120 roll film AND 35mm configuration. Due to the fact this film is more sensitized in the I.R. area I expect you can have some 'wood' effect with a dark red filter only.

Great to see a revival of some special Infra Red films :smile:

Best regards,

Robert

17. fhovie

fhovie Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    OK! You have my attention! I received a package from Germany with Three kinds of film to try and some developer. I am very impressed and will be looking for an opportunity to make some great captures with it with high expectations! This is what I would call -- the manufacturer getting in touch with their customers!. Way to GO!

18. PHOTOTONE

PHOTOTONE Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I have had email notification that I would be getting samples to try, but they haven't arrived yet.

19. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I received my test samples a few days ago and have been shooting and developing today.
    Maco will be the first to know the results.

jan

20. thefizz

thefizz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    So did this film hit the market yet?

21. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It certainly has. I recently bought some at a photography fair. If you want, I can look up the internet address of the shop. (I don't remember it right now...)

I bought some, but I guess I will keep it frozen until spring. For me, december is not really the time for IR.

22. thefizz

thefizz Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Yes please let me know where you got this film, thanks.

23. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    While trying to google for an answer, I'm starting to doubt.

I bought some Efke 820, not MACO 820. More googling confuses me more... is it the same product under a different name?...

Not where I bought it, but at least a link to a shop.

24. JLP

JLP Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those two are different. Test samples of the Maco 820 was sent out to volunteer testers early this year but i never heard that this film was being released.

jan

25. kraker

kraker Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I see... Thanks for putting that right. My apologies for causing... :confused: ...confusion.

26. JBrunner

JBrunner Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    35mm