FILM Ferrania - April 16, 2014

Discussion in 'Product Availability' started by Ken Nadvornick, Apr 22, 2014.

1. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    From their Facebook page:

"Just few words to reassure all of them who are following us since many months: We are still Alive and Kicking, just a little bit slower than expected. Why? The assumption for any revolution is that it must be durable in the future and in order to catch this goal some more work is needed. Cryptic message? Please, trust in us and stay tuned. More details soon."

—Nicola Baldini

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  2. momus

momus Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I have no idea who they are, but my understanding of "Please, trust in us" is......assume everyone is honest, but keep one hand on your wallet.

3. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    They are possibly the last (or second to last, if you are wildly optimistic), best chance for the survival of E-6 transparency film. Both for cine and for still photographers.

And with all of color film photography now pretty much on a death watch (the final MP production runs fulfilling the final MP contract cannot be far off at EK, and Fuji is down to next to nothing in their color film product portfolio), they may also be in the same position for C-41 color negative film.

The quote is an acknowledgement that their schedule for reintroduction of a reengineered E-6 film by 14Q1 has slipped, which those following their progress already knew, and a plea to nevertheless stick with them, as they are still working toward it.

Realistically, they need to have something to show in time to assure market continuity for color film products. A couple of years between the end of current color films and the appearance of their replacements could prove fatal if the final bits of both infrastructure and mindshare evaporate.

Lots of niche-level film people are counting on these guys to succeed...

Ken

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 22, 2014
  4. Trail Images

Trail Images Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Thanks for posting the update, Ken. For folks like myself that to date have consistently really only burned one type of film, that being E-6 stuff, we're hopeful and anxiously await their product.

5. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't think C41 is in immediate danger. There's still a metric arse-ton of C41 disposable cameras being made and used - at least so it has been reported here.

Still, it looks like my long term world is B&W film, maybe B&W alternative processes, and maybe digital. I'm not fond of that but if it's the only viable way to get color, I'd shoot some.

6. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If Mr. Baldini and the others are successful, perhaps we won't have to. He seems to be telling us they haven't burned, but rather are still in the baking phase.

Ken

7. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Yeah I hope so.

Sent from my iPhone via Tapatalk using 100% recycled electrons. Because I care.

8. Paul Howell

Paul Howell Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Ferrania may be our best bet for both E 6 and C 41. Both Fuji and Kodak need to coat very large runs, at some point there will not enough demand to keep the big plants operating and only a smaller operation will be able to make a profit.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fuji and Kodak and Agfa have the same erquipment as Film Ferrania have. And the latter sit in a large plant too. The issue is more complicated than that.

10. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That is true as far as the former Ferrania factory. The new company, Film Ferrania, only has use of the former R&D lab and their smaller coating machines.
    You can read here a description of what they are attempting to do. In German: http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/info/filmferrania/index.php
    In English: http://www.wittner-cinetec.com/info/filmferrania/english.php

11. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly. That is what I meant.

12. Ken Nadvornick

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My point in posting was just to pass along their good news assertion that they are alive, well, and still working toward a new E-6 film for the market. Especially for those not following the situation more closely.

Can they eventually get there? I dunno'. Maybe. Maybe not.

But I'd rather hear that they are still working hard at trying to get there, than to hear the constant drumbeat from the big boys over the last few years that it's all extinct, fool. And why can't you see that too?

Well, it's not extinct. The markets just changed. Some found (and are still finding) ways to adapt. While others are printing blister packaging. You do what you have to do, I suppose.

I have high hopes for FILM Ferrania. I think the most effective way to assure the future of film may well be to remove its primary manufacture completely from the USA. And out of the death grip of the Wolves of Wall Street.

It may not end up being Kodachrome or Ektachrome. Or Velvia or Provia. But with a little bit of luck, neither will it be extinct.

We'll see what the future holds...

:smile:

Ken

13. RattyMouse

RattyMouse Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format

I absolutely agree with this. Get film out of the USA and let it flourish at whatever level it can.

14. Slixtiesix

Slixtiesix Subscriber

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I hope they will come out with something to replace Astia...

15. eclarke

eclarke Member

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Americans are Americacentric. Film isn't so dead globally..

16. ME Super

ME Super Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'd be happy to see anybody come out with a new color transparency film. Right now Film Ferrania is our best bet. Kodak no longer makes the film or the chemistry to process it, and Fuji keeps discontinuing what they do have. Although the local camera store is now stocking Precisa CT 100 for virtually the same price as what I can get it from B&H, and we're petty sure as a community that that film is rebadged Provia.

17. omaha

omaha Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    These threads are getting expensive. Every time I see one I drop a few hundred bucks at B&H buying film...

18. wblynch

wblynch Member

Shooter:
    127 Format
    I don't care if their first offerings are as good as anything else. Whatever they make will get better.

I have strong hope and faith that someone, somewhere will fill the void left behind by the behemoth's lack of interest. Shall it be Ferrania? Let's just say, yes!

19. Roger Cole

Roger Cole Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've shot a fair amount of it. If it's not rebranded Provia it's so close as to make no difference.

I still wish a new film was lower saturation and contrast like Astia/E100G was, OR fast, like the lamented Provia 400X, not so similar to Provia as it sounds, but I'll take what we can get!

20. Nzoomed

Nzoomed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wasnt there talk that Kodak was going to look at using smaller coating machines to produce film in the future?
    I remember there was some blog from a Kodak employee about it.

I assume all the film manufactures must hold such equipment from their R&D departments?

If Ferrania can get this stuff coming out of italy, it may give their competition some incentive to start production again?
    I love my E100G, but im really enjoying the agfachrome Aviphot 200, i hope it will be around for some time.

I think we should all write into these companies and voice our concerns, they may listen and be open to making smaller runs if its viable.

21. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Exactly. I stated that before. Nevertheless Ferrania/Filmm Ferrania are considered unique.

Well, such development coaters are typically quite a gap off in productivity from the productions ones. But more important other manufacturers seem to have decided not to engage in consumer films at all, or not at that scale.

At Film Ferrania though such coating line ís know under control of people with another mindset.

22. Nzoomed

Nzoomed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I really think that film will become a niche market before long and its use for lomography is ever increasing.
    Kodak should seriously look at making shorter production runs of film if its possible, there would be enough demand for it.
    Bring back ektachrome, it was great.

This crowd in italy may end up holding the largest marketshare in colour film before long.

23. Xmas

Xmas Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    The Italian job may be 100% soon...

In London lomos are less than 10% of film cameras visible. SLRs are big majority, plastic pola next in freq!

The frequency distribution is biased as some\most ladies carry cameras concealed in bags. And I expect they are the largest fraction,...

Demand may still be falling. Most people I know are surcoming to d=+%*...

The interesting thing was on a demo a hot news DSLR person asked me a film question. So I said why? You don't shoot film...

'I have a wet print portfolio to show Im a real photographer that is how I get digital payed work'!