Film for Kodak 620 Vigilante Junior?

Discussion in 'Antiques and Collecting' started by Luna.optica, Jan 8, 2009.

1. Luna.optica

Luna.optica Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Hey... I've recently inhereted a fully functional Kodak 620 Vigilante Junior, and I was wondering if anyone knew if it was possible to order 620 Panatomic film from somewhere, maybe online... or another film that I can use instead in this camera... So far, in the places I have asked it seems kind of unlikely :confused: I'm in New Zealand but I have a source in the States that I can mail anything I order to.
    Thanks!

2. Paul Goutiere

Paul Goutiere Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This is one of many sites that will show you how to turn 120 film which is readily available into 620 film for your camera. Very easy to do!
    http://www.inficad.com/~gstewart/respool.htm

I have a few older cameras, myself, which take 620 film and this method works perfectly.
    There are a few issues you may run up against however:
    -many older cameras likely have pinholes in the bellows which will leak light. They can be hard to see.
    -the little red window on the back of your camera may leak a little light as well, and may need to be covered after advancing a frame.

The upside will be that the images produced by these old cameras can be really unique and special. Probably worth the effort to get the camera going.

3. Philippe Grunchec

Philippe Grunchec Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Fotoimpex in Berlin sells 120 films "trimmed" to 620. The last ones I got were Fuji Acros.

4. Luna.optica

Luna.optica Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Thanks a bunch!! :D
    Appreciated :D

5. athanasius80

athanasius80 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If you're referring to Panatomic-X film as the "Panatomic" 620, that emulsion's no longer made. Besides the link referenced above, I've had decent luck using a 620 takeup spool and a roll of 120 film trimmed down with either nail trimmers or scissors.

Good luck! My grandmother shot hundreds of pictures with the very same camera.

6. David Brown

David Brown Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. geoferrell

geoferrell Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    I think there are some camera stores in the U.S. that sell 620 film at a premium price under several brands.