Film from Italy -- Ferrania starting production 2014

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by kuparikettu, Jul 6, 2013.

1. kuparikettu

kuparikettu Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There has been some discussions around the web on these quite surprising news: apparently Ferrania is going to start manufacturing film for still photography and motion picture use 2014.
    Wikipedia states:

On flickr, one member stated that he had contacted Ferrania Technologies and asked about this, and according to him, they had confirmed that a new company really is about to start production again:
    http://www.flickr.com/groups/ishootfilm/discuss/72157630192838072/#comment72157634454967558

The owner of the domain http://filmferrania.it is the same person who has updated the Wikipedia article. Whether he is the one behind this new company or is just connected somehow remains to be seen.

Anyway, interesting news!

2. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Good to hear.

Jeff

3. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    This rumour turned op at the begin of the year in the italian press, though only related to cine film and about a very limited production.
    Since then I got no update on that. I take this with a heap of salt.

The only thing that is sure is that Ferrania's film department is in a state of vigilant coma.

I can confirm though that the website of Ferrania (Ferrania Technologies that is) has vanished and this new placeholder (Film Ferrania ?) under a different address has appeared.

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2013
  4. clayne

clayne Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Watch how many photography blogs pick this one up.... read: none!

5. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Any halfway good news about film is superb news. Good luck

6. MDR

MDR Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  7. Pasto

Pasto Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    My fingers are crossed!

8. Richard S. (rich815)

Richard S. (rich815) Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Sorry for sounding cynical but I'll believe it when people can actually buy it.

9. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format

Update:

Since 2012 Ferrania skipped at their website their offerings of coated products at their homepage but still left them and the hint at their coating facilties at other places at their site.
    Meanwhile they are back again by presenting themselves soley as chemical plant doing synthesis work.

10. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  11. railwayman3

railwayman3 Member

Shooter:
    35mm
  12. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. Ricardo Miranda

Ricardo Miranda Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The news is that the owner of Film Ferrania confirmed work is in progress and soon he will be able to reveal more of his plans, ending speculation about said works.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    At the moment, the filmferrania website appears to be down. The discussion on Flickr surprised me, with people seriously advocating the re-introduction of monochrome films that left the market 40/50 years ago. If the new filmferrania outfit do get going and introduce/re-introduce black & white films, that isn't going to be particularly good news for the likes of Adox, Foma, Ilford etc. What is that saying, "be careful of what you wish for"?

16. TheFlyingCamera

TheFlyingCamera Membership Council Council

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    My only concern would be that Italian film will work like Italian cars; when they do work, they're beautiful, but they won't record images at all on alternate tuesdays and Catholic holidays, and every six rolls you'll have to recalibrate your EI or you'll get muddy colors.

17. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    To be fair, so far there is no discussion at that very thread at Flickr to re-introduce films from 50 years ago.

If a a new owner or someone ordering a custom coating starts up photographic production again, I don't see why that should be with old old formulae instead of the latest technology of Ferrania.

18. Alessandro Serrao

Alessandro Serrao Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That's a Vatican City request!
    :D

19. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    With respect, you need to re-read the thread, admittedly it's long and wanders all over the place but it contains this remark:

"Finally, it would also be interesting to put back into production some historical Ferrania emulsions, such as Pancro 30".

The point I was making, is that if the new outfit are persuaded by such calls to manufacture B & W film that cannot be good news for the several existing B & W film manufacturers. I think if the new filmferrania were to re-introduce some of the colour films, particularly in sizes such as 126, that would be useful to many of us, but I have reservations about them manufacturing monochrome film. Something which the old Ferrania hadn't done for about 50 years or so.

20. Mustafa Umut Sarac

Mustafa Umut Sarac Member

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Wolf,

What is your problem with Italians ? Religion or your Ferrari ?

21. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I take the stand that who is able to engineer colour-films, which are based on seperate layers similar to those monochrome films, is also able to engineer classis monochrome films.

22. Cybertrash

Cybertrash Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    As someone with little understanding of markets and such things, why would this be bad for other manufacturers? I've always thought that competition is a healthy thing for a market.

23. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I was under the impression that the Film Ferrania was preparing to produce all the new Lomography house films, which would mostly include C-41 and E-6 films.

Also, this is GOOD news for film in general, I doubt they will do B&W emulsions, there's too much competition for that right now between the big three Ilford, Kodak, Fuji and then Rollie, Foma, etc it wouldn't make sense to make B&W right now, but color, especially cinefilm would be a smart move. In fact I would bet they will produce an ECN-2 type film for filming and E-6 movie stock for copy before they produce C-41.

All opinion...

24. AgX

AgX Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    There are still two major manufacturers making colour cine-films. And the market is declining.

Cine print film is not E-6 but ECP-2. (Cine camera- and print-films have to be complementary to each other.)

25. StoneNYC

StoneNYC Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    Is ECP-2 a negative or transparency?

And Fuji pulled out, it's just Kodak now

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk

26. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ECP-2 is a negative.

The ECN process is used to create a negative, which is subsequently printed on to another transmission oriented negative material, in order to create a positive transparency.

The C41 process is used to create a negative, which is subsequently printed on to another reflection oriented negative material, in order to create a positive print.

The requirements of transmission oriented and reflection oriented materials are so substantially different as to require substantially different workflow materials.