film holders - what type plastic?

Discussion in 'Large Format Cameras and Accessories' started by smieglitz, Feb 18, 2008.

1. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    Anyone know from what sort of plastic Lisco & Regal, etc., film holders are made? I'm going to modify some and want to get the best adhesive match for the purpose.

TIA,

Joe

2. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Joe, I've just repaired some using Superglue, but a solvent type cement would be better. A few years ago I dissolved some 120 plastic spools in cellulose paint thinners and made a repair cement to fix some developing tanks, this worked extremely well, 25 years later the tanks are still robust.

Ian

3. David A. Goldfarb

David A. Goldfarb Moderator Staff Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    So wait a minute--are you saying you've solved one of the great photographic mysteries? There really is a use for old 120 film spools.

4. Ian Grant

Ian Grant Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Err yes :D

Actually I used to dissolve them in an old 100ft 35mm film can, lasted for monthss, and best of all it's a light tight adhesive/cement.

Ian

5. richard ide

richard ide Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I just tested Methylene Dichloride on a holder and would suggest that it is probably one of the best to use. It is the solvent cement used for acrylic. Try Home Despot or a sign shop might give you a bit. Just make sure you have a good fit between pieces.

6. smieglitz

smieglitz Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    zat like Weld-on 3?

7. richard ide

richard ide Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It looks as if it might be the same product. I would google the chemical name so that you can be aware of the hazards involved in its use. Very unpleasant to get a trace in your mouth (BTDT) as it is about 200,000 times sweeter than sugar.

The easiest and most accurate way to apply it is with a hypodermic syringe. Plastic suppliers sell all glass ones and blunt needles. You can use disposables from the drug store but the rubber seal degrades rapidly. You can also get a one ounce bottle with a needle.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 18, 2008
  8. John Kasaian

John Kasaian Member

I've used gray PC-7 to repair a badly damaged 8x10 Lisco Royal. A little black paint and it looksed like new---and that was 5 years ago---that holder is still going strong btw.