Film in Canada...

Discussion in 'B&W: Film, Paper, Chemistry' started by jordanstarr, Apr 18, 2008.

1. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Hey...

Just wondering what Canadians are doing about the decreasing amount of film and paper available in Canada?

The big problem is that my Kodak Plus-x appears to be disconintued in all formats except 35mm. I can find some at B&H and Freestyle and can backorder at Huntsphoto, but I'd really like to avoid over-the-border orders (especially considering I'm willing to drop $400 on an order of this film in 120 format). I'd hate to switch over to Tmax and rediscover a good developer/film/time combination, but I might not have a choice I guess.

As for paper, I find that a lot of that is slowly being discontinued as well and increasingly hard to find. Any suggestions on both?

Thanks...Jordan.

2. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 18, 2008
  3. gordrob

gordrob Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Try The Camera Store in Calgary - they still have a selection of film and paper. Your best to send them an email about your needs because they have more on their shelves than what they show on their web site.

http://www.thecamerastore.com/

Gord

4. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Order it by mail guilt-free if you must. If local retailers won't stock it, buy it from where you can.

5. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Awesome...thanks for the info guys. I'll try the camera store as shipping costs should be minimal to Edmonton.

6. TBevens

TBevens Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Film/Paper Availability

As if April 1 Ilford Photo/Harman has a new distributor located in Canada so general availability will be improving on both film and paper throughout Canada.

7. CRhymer

CRhymer Subscriber

Shooter:
    ULarge Format
    Hello All,

Land of Goshen! I just looked at McBain's web site. It has been a year or two since I have been there - no mention of film. At least The Camera Store still acknowledges the existence of film.

There was a more general recent thread:

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum37/49109-cheapest-place-order-film-canada.html

And Photoco lists it:
    http://www.photo-co.com/securestore/c59963p9556354.2.html

I too have been using Freestyle and B&H a lot.

It is true that Ilford products are generally more available.

Jordan, tell us how you make out with The Camera Store.

Cheers,
    Clarence

8. Uncle Bill

Uncle Bill Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The real challenge are local retailers wanting to stock film? Their problem is no one is buying enough Kodak product to make the mininum order. With Ilford getting a new distributor, you are going to see a lot more of that brand shortly.

I am lucky because I live in greater Toronto and I have access to within an hour's driving distance east or west of my house in Oakville a dozen different stores selling film and paper. Some of course are better than others in terms of selection.

9. Craig

Craig Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Mainly because the Managing director still shoots film and is determined to be the last man standing in Calgary for film. However, sales have collapsed compared to what they used to be.

The clerk I usually deal with said that on average he maybe sells 30 rolls of film a month. when I worked there about 10 years ago it was very common to see the local pros 3 times a week and they'd buy 50 rolls a time. Those days are long gone I'm afraid.

I was in there yesterday and I didn't notice any Plus X, but I also didn't look at the film fridge. I think they mainly stock Tri-x and T Max. They have lots of Ilford in stock.

10. Removed Account

Removed Account Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Try our very own Rob Skeoch (www.bigcameraworkshops.com). I've placed a couple of orders with him and all went well. He does carry some of the more esoteric stuff as well like ULF cameras and film, Efke IR820, and the line of Kentmere papers and chemicals which can be hard to find this side of the border. You can also try Beau Photo in Vancouver. They've got a good stock of traditional products and can generally order something for you if they don't stock it.

- Justin

11. spoolman

spoolman Subscriber

Shooter:
    Med. Format Pan
    Film in Canada

Hello Jordan:Here in West end Toronto there is a photo store,Film Plus,which handles traditional as well as digital.I get all my supplies from them.It doesn't hurt that they are a 5 minute walk for me.They carry just about everything film wise and if they don't have it they can order it in for you.I noticed that the y just got in a shipment of film last week and I noticed a number of pro packs of plus-x 120.They may be a little more expensive than Henry's or Vistek but the service is great.

I don't know if they have a website or not but their phone number is 416-535-3747.They are open 5 days a week until 6:00 pm and until 4:00 pm on Saturdays.

Hope this helps.All times are E.D.T.

Doug

12. canuhead

canuhead Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  13. tom_bw

tom_bw Member

Shooter:
    Med. Format RF
    In Ottawa, it appears that Ilford films are no problem (Henry's in Kanata seems to have the best choice). I have found Kodak film selection very small, particularly in 120. I can easily get TX320, but no TXP400 locally. On the other hand, Kodak chemicals are available (at least the common ones). That being said (though not related to film stocks), I was really surprised to see post-Agfa Rodinal (i.e. in the new packaging) at Henry's.

14. jordanstarr

jordanstarr Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    So I called The Camera Store and they said that you can only order online, but they will add whatever is in the store on the website if you ask. They're going to contact me when they get the plus-x on there....then I'm going to buy them out.

15. dances_w_clouds

dances_w_clouds Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Canadian film

In Vancouver to order from Toronto costs major $$$ for shipping . I shop locally for small stuff but my major paper and film supplies come from California. I have a company that charges $ 23 for delivery and they take Paypal which is a safe way to pay. There is a certain amount you can order without being hit by our beloved GST & PST. Under $100 I think. Ultrafineonline.com are in California so the shipping takes 2.5 wks. Anything else is WAYYYY to long. (I do have a life) You can get a catalog and order online. They send it airmail so it will probably be the same $$$ to Edmonton. I am careful with using my CC south of the boarder because of BIG PROBLEM I ran into using mail order. With the Canadian $$ at par it is very affordable.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2008