Film is alive and well in the north west!

Discussion in 'Industry News' started by CatLABS, Mar 20, 2013.

1. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
  2. Marc B.

Marc B. Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    No surprise!
    The Pacific Northwest is a beautiful place...to see, and photograph.
    Glad you enjoyed your trip.

Marc

3. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    It sure is. It was amazing to see so many people hard at work using traditional and alternative processes.
    The north east, or anywhere else for that matter is not any less of a pretty place (each with its own type of beauty/interest) - now its our job to make the big outlets in or area look like that.

4. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    That's great to hear!

Jeff

5. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I miss Pro Photo...used to get all me stuffs there.

6. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Glazers is a great place to wander through; I always leave there a couple of hundred dollars poorer. I've been to Photo Center NW only once, when they were having their annual 'garage sale' a few years ago. Got the full, jaw-dropping tour. Wish I had the finances to drop everything and study there.

7. Jesper

Jesper Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Nice to hear some good news.
    A bit too far for me to visit though..

8. arealitystudios

arealitystudios Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    The next time you are in Portland you should make it a point to go to Blue Moon Camera. They have a modest selection of film but for old camera collectors it is a DREAM! The shelves and cases are bursting with TLR's, old folders, rangefinder lenses, large format cameras, etc. etc. Plus their processing facilities are first rate.

Thank you for posting about our region though. We do love our film photography in the Pacific Northwest. :smile:

9. M Stat

M Stat Member

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    It used to be that Pro Photo had a huge walk-in room/cooler to store their film and photographic paper. Now all that is there is a film fridge. That was depressing to see. Pro Photo quickly switched to mainly all digital some years ago, and I never went back.

10. PhotoJim

PhotoJim Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    We're international... you mean the northwest of the US? :smile:

Still, good news to hear.

11. sr44

sr44 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Wow, I've lived in the Northwest my whole life and I've never been inside Glazers, I had no idea that had cases of film like that! Wish I didn't live almost 100 miles from Seattle.

12. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Heh, heh...

My last visit to Glazer's ended with me walking out almost $400 poorer. A 50-sheet box of 11x14 and a 250-sheet box of 8x10 Ilford papers, among too many other things. Visiting the film fridge in back is like making the Pilgrimage of Lourdes. Or arriving at a Disney resort destination.

Ken

13. CatLABS

CatLABS Subscriber

Shooter:
    Large Format
    100 miles? Thats about 10-15 minutes with the local speed limit.. no? especially if you are going down hill to the city :wink:.

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. amsp

amsp Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You Americans have no idea how lucky you are :blink:

16. alarickc

alarickc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I avoid Pro Photo, the staff is usually rude to me and the up charge on their film is awful. If I need film locally I go to Blue Moon(only ¢50-$1 up charge over the online retailers, it's actually cheaper for a roll or two if you count shipping). I will however have to make a point of visiting Glazers next time I'm in Seattle.

17. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I'm sad to hear the decline of service/sales at Pro Photo. For the longest time they were always helpful and had what I needed in stock. Haven't been there in many years.

Blue Moon was always exceptional as well.

18. MattKing

MattKing Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I drive through Bellingham on my way to Glazer's :smile:.

A trip from home (near Vancouver BC) to Seattle and back makes for a full day for my wife and I, but we usually can find a few other things to do on the way.

19. sly

sly Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I've been in Washington State twice in the 30+ years I've lived on Vancouver Island. Both times I went to Glazers. Best thing about Seattle. The traffic is one of the worst things about it......shudder.

20. flatulent1

flatulent1 Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    For me it's more like visiting a smorgasbord. I'll have some of these, some of those... Ooh, what's that one? Okay, I'll take some of that. I have a hard time keeping my mind on my actual needs when I'm in there.

Damn, now I'm thinking of reasons to get down there Saturday morning...

21. David Nardi

David Nardi Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    I live in the wrong country. Lucky Americans. Canada is missing out. All the camera stores here in Toronto have been pro digital in the last decade with an annually declining stock of film and related accessories. I get all my stuff from the States. The closest thing to these photo stores in the northwest was when I went to The Camera Store in Calgary, Alberta back in 2007. They had such a healthy supply of analog gear (even a few rows of enlargers on display) that I actually felt like I was in a photography store and not a consumer electronics one.

22. dpurdy

dpurdy Subscriber

Shooter:
    8x10 Format
    I was just in Portland's Pro Photo yesterday. Walking by and decided to check in. The cold walk in film room was gone and just a glass front fridge. The only sheet film was 4x5 Tmax 100 or some Fuji color. All the Ilford and Kodak stuff was there though in small quantities. I even saw some Rollei film there for 12 dollars a roll.
    They had most the sizes and surfaces of Ilford paper.
    In the used camera case lots of stuff. Lots of Nikon film cameras and several Leicas. Even a Rollei 3.5 Automat in very nice condition.
    Most the store is dedicated to ink printers and digital cameras and accessories.
    Dennis

23. DF

DF Member

David
    Sorry to hear that it's difficult to find the stuff you need, and, being in a big city like Toronto! It's alittle bit like that here in Chicago, but won't get to the point where I'd have to purchase online from say, New York for film & related supplies, but it has gotten scary at some points in time. The film fridge behind the counter at the local Calumet isn't anything like it used to be, but fuller now than I've seen in months. That's true everywhere.
    There must be other film photog's in Toronto who have similer problems, and, if that void could be filled, a new camera store that specializes in film and related supplies.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2013
  24. Ken Nadvornick

Ken Nadvornick Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    A Quick Reply gets appended next at the current bottom of the thread. If you wish to reply directly to a post higher up in the thread, select Reply with Quote from that post. Then you can edit the original poster's quote down to only the part you are replying to directly. Just don't modify the essential content or context of their original post. That would be considered bad form.

Ken

25. DF

DF Member

Thanks Ken

26. Brian C. Miller

Brian C. Miller Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I've been shopping at Glazer's since I started with photography, in the late 90's. While it's gone from a big walk-in fridge that was like Candyland to what it is now, it's still great for it to be there.

The guys in the film shop still care, and care deeply, about film. It's good to chat with them. Most of them prefer using Ilford over Kodak. They didn't know about 8x10 special orders, or using x-ray film. But they do know about getting an RA-4 line started, the current color kits, and lots of other knowledge.