Film philosophy

Discussion in 'Ethics and Philosophy' started by theblackcrusaders, Nov 14, 2010.

1. theblackcrusaders

theblackcrusaders Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I'm writing a speech on the benefits and philosophy of using film in photography. I'm having a harder time than I thought of tracking down resources. If anyone could point me in the right direction that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. njkphoto

njkphoto Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    It might be a good idea to go to a college library and use their online catalog. I am doing some research as well and you can find a lot of material, articles/books, etc.

3. CGW

CGW Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    "the benefits and philosophy of using film in photography"

What are your thoughts on this? Any themes or an actual thesis to be considered??? You might try photo.net for this sort request.

4. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    You could start by asking yourself if there is such a thing as a "philosophy of using film in photography".

5. Dan Henderson

Dan Henderson Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    Or, you could ask yourself what YOUR philosophy of using film in photography is. Why do you use film? What are the advantages for you of using film? What makes the use of film outweigh the ease, convenience, and other perceived advantages of digital? I suspect that each of us would answer these questions somewhat differently. In fact, there is another thread going on right now that was started by a person returning to film after being in the digital world for awhile. Many of us replying have different viewpoints.

Perhaps after identifying your philosophy you might want to explore the philosophies of other film photographers. Good luck in your research.

6. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Welcome to APUG!

Sounds like good fun. Who is your audience?

7. theblackcrusaders

theblackcrusaders Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Its for a speech class. The professor moved the date forward a few times so I have less time than expected when I originally chose the topic.

8. theblackcrusaders

theblackcrusaders Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the advice. I think I'll use Andre Bazin.

9. Q.G.

Q.G. Inactive

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    What could he have to say about using film in photography that's still relevant today?

10. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    A sort of transformation of quantity (time) into quality (negative)?

11. 2F/2F

2F/2F Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I don't really understand what you are asking for. Do you need published reference material to form an opinion for your paper, because you do not know why people use film, or do you already have your opinion, and just need to find interesting passages to quote?

For me, the philosophy of using film is not very deep, if existent at all. I guess the most philosophical thing about it is that I generally prefer to work with tangible physical media than with purely electronic digital media, be it in the area of music, photography, writing, etc. Aside from the physical differences in process, I feel that working strictly with something that is held in the hand is an important difference. I don't know if that is "philosophical." Perhaps just something that lubricates my imagination in an intangible way (perhaps because it is, quite simply, much more fun)...

Other than that, the differences all come down to results, equipment, cost, and process – all very physical and tangible things. Not much philosophy there.

Here is my personal favorite Internet article on why we use film: http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/why-we-love-film.htm.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010
  12. Jerevan

Jerevan Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    I just hope you're trying to be funny here ... otherwise you need to read up a bit about the anthropogist who developed structuralism. :confused:

13. stevco

stevco Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If someone ask me a question like "explain why you are shooting film still?", I would probably answer with " I just feel like it!" :smile:

14. Sponsored Ad
  15. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Invert the question and try to make the case to abandon film. This will give you some salient points to work from.

It won\'t give you the speech, but it will force you to think about it critically. Which is what you need right now on the front end of the endeavor.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010
  16. Photo Engineer

Photo Engineer Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Just FYI, there was such a paper written for delivery at the 2006 ICIS (International Congress of Imaging Science) meeting here in Rochester, but it was canceled at the last minute "due to lack of interest". I have a prerelease copy of it here somewhere. It is rather lengthy and very well written. If you are interested, I'll see if the author will allow me to pass his address on to you.

PE

17. tkamiya

tkamiya Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    You might want to visit Clyde Butcher's website and go to his face book page, etc. He talks about why he still uses film rather extensively. I would imagine someone as accomplished and recognized as Butcher would be a good one to reference.

If I were to do this type of thing, I am not sure if I would go as far as to call it "philosophy." I use film because I like the result it gives me. I also like the process itself. It's calming. I don't have any grand scheme or philosophical reasons behind it. You could always approach it as why YOU do it, unless of course, referencing someone else is required per your professor.

18. keithwms

keithwms Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The idea of struggling to put into words what we can do more efficiently with images... it's a little bit too Susan Sontag for my taste.

19. phaedrus

phaedrus Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Those who can, do, those who can't, teach.

Sorry, couldn't resist. No offense meant to you or the original poster.

20. lonelyboy

lonelyboy Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    There is a marketing program in Kodak called "Film No Compromise". It is about motion picture film:

http://motion.kodak.com/US/en/motio...ls/Why_Compromise/Image_Quality_one_sheet.htm

I hope you may find some useful information there. Good luck!

21. theblackcrusaders

theblackcrusaders Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I was thinking more of how the negative is a chemical recording of the time rather than something that a sensor picked up. Kind of like paint on a canvas rather than a digital image.

22. theblackcrusaders

theblackcrusaders Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    That sounds great. I'd love to read it.

23. theblackcrusaders

theblackcrusaders Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I already figured out the tangible differences. I'm new to reading about photography and already know why I do it. The speech is supposed to be persuasive so I figured a philosophical approach in a college setting might work in addition to the tangible differences. Thanks for the link.

24. Christopher Walrath

Christopher Walrath Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I agree with others above. It might serve well to included a few references and drop a name or too with whom you are in agreement. But I would be much more interested in a personal POV. So, again, what is your own philosophy and build out from there. Don't just recite, show a lot of insight.

25. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It's a nice idea and I think it would work well, but why mention digital at all?

26. theblackcrusaders

theblackcrusaders Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanks for the idea. I'll look into this.