Film photography magazines.

Discussion in 'Book, Magazine, Gallery Reviews & Shows' started by analogaddict, Sep 29, 2011.

1. analogaddict

analogaddict Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I dont know if this was posted before but as a film photographer myself i know its very hard to find a magazine which is its dedicated only to film photography today. Some time ago a friend of mine sent me a link to this magazine called le negatif.

Their link is: www.lenegatif.com
    They have just printed a book.
    I would appreciate if you would let me know if there are any other magazines which feature film photography.

Ryan

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 29, 2011
  2. CGW

CGW Restricted Access

Shooter:
    Medium Format
    Took a quick look and like it. Thanks!

3. Jeff Kubach

Jeff Kubach Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Looks interesting!

Jeff

4. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I think the trouble is that magazines make a significant amount of their income from advertisers - and so they pretty much dictate the idea that photography is all about buying the latest digital camera...

I live in the UK and know of very few film only magazines, but one which at least includes film is 'Black and White Photography'. I don't know if this is marketed outside of the UK, but it is presumably available mail-order.

http://www.thegmcgroup.com/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=698

The UK companies Silverprint, AG+ photographic and several other film and darkroom suppliers advertise in it, as well as smaller companies advertising film processing services and second hand film cameras.

It tries to strike a balance between film and digital. Personally I think the idea is flawed because I suspect very few photographers use both film and digital for either their professional work or for their hobby. I bet most of us film enthusiasts have a digital camera - but use it for different stuff. Photoing the kids birthday part, snapping things to put on eBay etc. I can't imagine many photographers using film and digital cameras side by side to take black and white pictures, so up to half the magazine is of little interest...

I wish they'd take the plunge and go all film, but at least some months there can be quite a lot of coverage of film and many articles are not related to the capture device at all.

There is a sister magazine 'outdoor photography' with the same inclusive film and digital idea, but I'm not familiar with it.

5. analogaddict

analogaddict Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello Steven thats why i found le negatif interesting because they feature only film photography and there isnt adversting at all. I totally agree with what you said. You should check out this magazine because i think you will like it.

Ryan

6. steven_e007

steven_e007 Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I have and yes, you are right, it looks very interesting.

Thanks for the link :smile:

7. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Looks really good. The book is a good price too (£11) for 70 pages. We had a recent thread here about an APUG photo book but I don't know what happened to it. Did it fizzle out?

8. analogaddict

analogaddict Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yes the book looks cool.
    Really good the APUG photo book. Please let me know if you have any other informations.

Ryan

9. Louis Nargi

Louis Nargi Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    took a look thanks.

10. analogaddict

analogaddict Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Not at all Louis.

11. shutterclank

shutterclank Advertiser

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    Shutterclank Magazine

me and some friends independently produce a photography magazine featuring film and alternative process photography.

Our site is: http://www.shutterclank.com

in our upcoming issue we have a tintype photographer, some Polaroids, color and b&w film photography.

Check it out!!