Film processors

Discussion in 'Darkroom Equipment' started by Andy Durazo, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Andy Durazo

Andy Durazo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    It looks like our Wing Lynch processor may be dead. The memory has been corrupted and won't reset. We have called for a tech to look at it but we may need a new processor. Does anybody still make film processors?

Thanx in advance for the help.

Oh some other info you may need. I work at a school so it must be new and we work with film as large as 8x10.

2. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Take at look Jobo CPA 2 and Jobo CPP 2. You can find them new and near new. The expert tanks can tank up to 8"x10". Jobos have temperature control so you can do black & white and color.

Steve

3. tjaded

tjaded Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Where are you located?

4. Luseboy

Luseboy Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    ditto, i love my jobo. the one thing to keep in mind though is that the drums are quite expensive, and only one student would be able to use the jobo at one time, unless multiple students put their film into one drum...

5. alanrockwood

alanrockwood Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Phototherm (Photo-therm) still makes film processors. They are very good, though a bit expensive. Sometimes you can find them on ebay if you prefer not to buy new.

6. Andy Durazo

Andy Durazo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Thanx guys! To reply to all. The Jobo is good, I have one but, won't stand up to the abuse they would put it under. Thanx for the Phototherm I'll check them out. I'm in Los Angeles, Ca.
    And I can relate to the discontinuance of every good product out there!

7. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Which model W-L processor?

8. Andy Durazo

Andy Durazo Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Wing Lynch Model 5.

9. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    If it's the CPU for sure, I've seen one or two used ones for sale on Ebay from time to time, the same processor is used in my Pro6 and I considered it, but decided that having a spare isn't worth the hassle.

10. ic-racer

ic-racer Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
  11. Stephen Frizza

Stephen Frizza Member

Shooter:
    Medium Format
  12. DKT

DKT Member

fwiw--we're surplusing our model 5. should be sent out to state (nc) surplus lot sometime. tube sets, manuals for the 4E and 5, and an E6 card for the older model also.

13. Klainmeister

Klainmeister Member

Shooter:
    4x5 Format
    If it's simply a CPU why not just replace it? Older cpu's would be easy to source and it would probably take an hour or two to bust it open and swap em.

EDIT: Ah, memory corruption. Physical or software issue? Hmmm, might not be that simple then.

14. epatsellis

epatsellis Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    DKT,
    Before you do that, you may want to pop it out, open the cover and reseat everything, including pressing down on any socketed IC's. Thermal cycling and time are hell on socketed components and connectors. A reseat frequently solves a lot of intermittent problems.

15. Sirius Glass

Sirius Glass Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Since you are in Los Angeles, contact Steve Smith at joboman@aol.com. You are practically next door to him. He and his wife service and sell all types of processors. You really should post your location on your profile.

Steve

16. DKT

DKT Member

thanks--but not the OP--we haven't fired ours up in well over 2 yrs, it's been sitting full of water & what little E6 we shot was sent out. same with our 2150 machine. anyone that is interested in 2150 machines, and parts, drop me a line. not sure what to do with them, nobody local seems to want them. oh well, so it goes...

17. michaelbsc

michaelbsc Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    The photothem won't do 8x10 as it is sold.

I suspect twisting their arm enough to convince them to modify a pair of 4x5 holders might cost that arm and a leg to go with it.

The real question is how much will you spend. If money is in the several hundred dollar range, find a way to repair.