film speed recommendation for late March in Cornwall

Discussion in 'Medium Format Cameras and Accessories' started by hoojammyflip, Mar 6, 2013.

1. hoojammyflip

hoojammyflip Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    Hello everyone, I am thinking of a trip to Cornwall (south coast of England) shortly and wondering about film speed...I am going to try taking some pictures of my family with the ETRSi which has been sitting patiently at the bottom of my cupboard (I am taking a Pentax ME Super along too in case anything doesnt work with the Bronica). What would people recommend for film speed...I am thinking TMAX 400 should do it for me, but am concerned by the Bronica's top speed of 1/500s. Having not shot medium format ever, I dont know how much impact it will have if I have to stop down to f16 to keep within the limits of the shutter speed. Thanks.

2. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I'm going next week for a couple of weeks funnily enough.

I'll be taking 400 exclusively and expect some days to have to shoot at 800 ... but you just never know down there.

The forecast is awful, and the most western part of cornwall (west penwith - Penzance, St Just, Land's End) is more like an atlantic island than mainland. The weather can just close in and stay shrouded for days if not weeks. Or be glorious. Keep an eye on the inshore waters forecast and the shipping forecast, they're more accurate for west cornwall than the ordinary one you'll get on tv and radio.

3. cliveh

cliveh Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm RF
    FP4+

4. pentaxuser

pentaxuser Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    As you will be shooting B&W I'd imagine that on sunny days you will have a filter on for skies. If so then TMax 400 would be a good choice. At this time of year especially, you can work on sunny f11 so 1/400th with no filter and even a yellow is 1/200th. I cannot really imagine circumstances where the need for f16 conflicts with TMax 400. Quite the reverse. If you shoot handheld and need f16 then TMax 400 will give you a shutter speed sufficient to avoid any danger of shake which a slower film might not, especially with the likes of a green, orange or red filter

On very dull days TMax400 can be shot at EI800 with same dev time so there is some margin there if light and subject matter require it.

TMax400 sounds like a good choice to me

pentaxuser

5. perkeleellinen

perkeleellinen Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Two years ago we went down in March and it was so nice I shot a roll of 50ASA film without a tripod, last year at the same time I shot 800ASA film in-between soakings. So if you're an optimist, maybe also pack a roll of 100ASA film.

6. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    When I lived in Cornwall, I routinely shot with FP4 . Pdeeh is right about Cornish weather - really changeable, but it is not February so you should see the sun at some point. The plus with Cornwall is the almost complete lack of air pollution, the prevailing wind coming across the Atlantic - so the air is much clearer than is the case in most of England.

7. hoojammyflip

hoojammyflip Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    in the end I have plumped for some TRIX and TMAX 100, just in case...I seem to remember someone saying it makes no sense to spend money on lenses and the like and then to economise on film and paper...

8. nicholai

nicholai Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I would have packed TRI-X or HP5+ exclusively. Both can be shot somewhere in between EI 100 and 3200 with satisfactory results.

9. benjiboy

benjiboy Subscriber

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    I.S.O 400, to quote Bob Hope "Britain is a place where you can get all four seasons in one day" :smile:.

10. Brac

Brac Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    The UK has far more dull days than sunny, especially when we are not in summer. You can't go wrong with ISO 400 film, but if you're lucky you might be able to use slower film.

11. pdeeh

pdeeh Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    well it was so nice yesterday that i wish i'd had an ND filter with me ... :blink:

12. fefed

fefed Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    If i were you (I have a Mamiya 645 Super) i'd load 1 back with FP4+ and the other with Foma 400.
    happy shooting, Cornwall is beautiful...i was there last July!

13. hoojammyflip

hoojammyflip Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm
    To anyone reading, its worth while having at least a 2 stop spread in film maybe even 50 and 400 when using a Bronica. I think its more of a problem having over fast film, as you can always use a tripod, whereas the other way round, you will need ND filters. We chatted with a local who had lived in the area a long time, who said the weather is getting more extreme. I was staying in Mousehole, and shot 5 and a bit rolls off. I can recommend a cottage Trecarrell, and would actually aim at going off season for more dramatic skies. Hopefully, I have some night shots of the harbour area, some shots from walking in the sunshine (3 lenses, two backs, tripod and a toddler on my back, for a military yomp across Lands End) and other tourist photos. I have not developed the films yet!

14. Peltigera

Peltigera Member

Shooter:
    Multi Format
    Going to Cornwall off season will not necessarily get you more dramatic skies. Cornwall can do matt grey flat skies for weeks at a time. If you want dramatic skies, come to Lincolnshire.

15. hoojammyflip

hoojammyflip Subscriber

Shooter:
    35mm