Film Storage

Discussion in 'Color: Film, Paper, and Chemistry' started by brooklynkid, Jul 12, 2007.

1. brooklynkid

brooklynkid Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    I use Fuji Provia 100 for my first line color film. I usually keep my film in the freezer. If I remove film from the freezer and don't use it all, can the extra loads go back into the freezer? I have been storing the extra loads in the refrigerator after they thaw, because I worry that refreezing will damage the film emulsion.

2. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    I regularly re-freeze film I took out but didn't use. I've never experienced any problems when I did ultimately use it. It's not like a food item which might get "freezer burn".

3. John Curran

John Curran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Yep, same here. Freeze and refreeze with no problems.

4. Neanderman

Neanderman Member

Shooter:
    Large Format
    I would add that this is definitely safe so long as the film is in the factory sealed packaging. If not, there is a moderate risk of repeated moisture condensation on the film itself causing problems.

Ed

5. John Curran

John Curran Member

Shooter:
    35mm
    Point taken. I don't know how much of a problem condensation would be for me as I live in the desert, but it may be for others. Also, films are thawed slowly, from freezer to refrigerator for 12 hrs, then to room temp for 4 hrs before use.

regards
    John

6. copake_ham

copake_ham Inactive

Shooter:
    35mm
    Excellent point. I guess I had assumed this was understood; but you're wise to mention it.

Keep the 35mm in the canister until you're ready to load it; ditto on keeping the 120 in the mylar wrapper. If you then don't use them - re-freezing should not be a problem at all.

[Oh, I only shoot 35mm and MF - I imagine there are similar caveats for the LF/ULF films.]